Particle system and editor in the works(Screen)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Particle system and editor in the works(Screen)

poopla(Posted 2009) [#1]

This is an effects system I'm designing right now that I plan to release within the next month, curious what features or effects you've seen in games that you would like to be able to reproduce, all properties are editable via a timeline graph and change dynamically through the lifetime of emitter/particle.

The editor will allow you to design system effects using multiple emitters, save these emitter systems for use in your project, as well as render out video, frame by frame, or animated texture strip files of the effect as well(For animated textures on particles or whatever you may need).

Thoughts, comments, please :).

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#2]
The ability for particles to bounce along a plane? Play a sound when a particle is emitted. Erm, looks nice though.

poopla(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ross C: So you're talking about some generic eventing? Particles colliding with simple geometry isn't difficult and is something I was considering. The sounds (IE some generic eventing), is a bit different and I don't really know why you would want to have a particle system do it for you.. I could see being able to spawn new effects when a particle collides with a plane or some other base geometry, as well as an event queue for such events. Is that more along the lines of what you meant?

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well, in particle candy, you can have your particles bounce along a plane, somehow defined in the code somewhere. It's not an event, it's for stuff like sparks bouncing, and just any particle in general that would bounce. You really don't want to be coding that yourself, if it's a completely seperate lib thats generating the particles.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks cool. I'm working on a particle engine/editor as well, but in 2D. they're fun to make.