3DSMax animations have different speed in Blitz3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3DSMax animations have different speed in Blitz3D?

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#1]
Whenever I export an animation through 3DS Max (with the timing looking great), the animation always plays a little fast in Blitz3D when I animate the model (even though it has speed as default, 1.0). I know it's related to frame limiting (since max has a definite time between each frame, and in my blitz3D program you are ciclying as fast as you can, with no limitation).
Any way to Sync the animations to the same speed as they were in Max?

What I know (apart from that being a frame update problem), is that I can put the "Frame Rate" in Max's Time Configuration dialogue to whatever I want. But there it is, what do I put in there? (my most logical guess is to put the same value I'm going to use in my frame limiting, whilst inside Blitz3D).

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
Are you exporting to the .X format? That's the only format I remember having any animation speed problems with, because the .X format is very loose about defining animation speed.

I think I always left my Frame Rate at the default value. Which I think is 30?

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#3]
I'm exporting to .B3D with the pipeline. I don't have any other problems, it's just the timing really. Because imagine this: in 3DSMax, it's going 30 frames-per-second. In Blitz3D, it's updating the animation as fast as it can, not limited to 30.

FlagDKT(Posted 2008) [#4]
3dsmax animates at 30fps by default.
If you set 60fps limit in Blitz, you have to play your animations at 0.5
With 30fps limit it would be 1.0 :)

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yeah, I tested it yesterday, and the same FPS value you put in Time Configuration, it's the same you gotta limit to (that of course, is if you wanna play everything with the speed of 1.0. Or else you can do like FlagDKT said, playing with the speed of 1.0 / (FPSLimit/AnimationFPS). I'd recommend using Mark's Tween frame limiting because it's the one that keeps the frame rates smoothier.

I'll just leave a quick guide for anybody having the same problems and who may find this thread. Here's how you set up the animation FPS in 3DS Max:

With the thing opened, you go to the bottom-right screencorner, where you can see the Time Configuration button:

Just click on it and the Time Configuration dialogue will appear. The first group is Frame Rate:

Set it to Custom, and in the text box you write exactly the same value you are using to limit your FPS (say, 60, or 75, like me). Then you just need to place your UpdateWorld() with a Mark's tweening frame limit and you're done.

The cool thing is that you can make your animation in max without having to worry about frame rate (let's say I was animating at 30 FPS, the default, in Max). Only whenever you wanna export it through the pipeline I change the frame rate. When you change the frame rate to what you are going to limit, max already scales the animation in a way that doesn't change the timing\speed, but does fit the frame rate you selected! So, bottom line is: animate, convert to frame rate you're going to use in blitz3d, export, use frame limit with the same value. Done.

EDIT: If you don't know where you can get mark's frame limiting algorithm, see here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=9