MD2 issue

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/MD2 issue

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..after exporting animated model from 3dsmax--->MD2, I have try it in various preview programs and all of them showing that surface of my model 'shaking' a bit, something liek you applied texture with kind a refraction texture..i thought something is wrong with 3dsmax so i give it a go with animated bird provided in samples with B3D since it was looking nice to me, first time i saw it..I loaded and..same actually when you close up, you can see this 'surface shaking'..same happen later in B3D when I tried all those models...whats the catch here...how to avoid this thing since source animated model is perfect without any 'surface' problems...as i said, provided MD2 Bird in samples does same thing..just come close with camera to it and you will see what im saying...whats the catch??

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#2]
That is known as MD2 Wobbling. I do not know what's the cause of this, but I do know that MD2s have it.

Uhh...if you're exporting a model through 3DS Max, why don't you use B3D Pipesmoke? it's much more compatible and wobblingless.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#3]
It is due to the way that MD2s store their vertex positions. They use only a 'byte' value per vertex instead of a 4 byte float to store their position. So for complex meshes with fine detail they are not too good.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#4]
Makes total sense. Someone should make a MD3 to correct this thing. It's simply a matter of changing the type of value.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
Ah thanks for that matty i always thought it was because md2's couldn't store floating point values. So you can only store integer values from 0 to 255?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
>>Uhh...if you're exporting a model through 3DS Max, why don't you use B3D Pipesmoke? it's much more compatible and wobblingless. <<

I guess you mean B3D pipeline..well..reason is simple..i wanna populate my cities with folks, and in order to do that MD2 is the only way since B3D anim characters will kill frame rate instantly for given amount of characters..

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
Can't you use .3ds animation or .x animation? You need to make sure that it is non boned animation though. It def works, as the blitz docs come with an animated .3ds and .x animation.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#8]
..well..my characters are animated by bones and exported to MD2...sooo..thats the problem...I have asked about MD3 loader in another thread, since MD3 seems to be clean from integers so wobbling should be out of scope while speed wise/number characters on scene, should remain same as MD2..

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
I can't remember for the life of me the app name, but there is one that converts bones to non boned animation. Not much use to you though :o)

How to you intend to load md3's into blitz?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#10]
..I was asking about this thread, so i hope someone who read all this may have downloaded this loader somewhere in archive...that would be very handy for whole comunity i guess...

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=41529

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#11]
..I got it..yeah baby..beautiful..here it is for all of you guys who need it...

http://www.melog.ch/dl/bb_md3lib_drago.zip

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#12]
Hey Naughty, what are you using to export MD3's from 3DS Max?

If it keeps the wobbling away, and doesn't weight on the CPU as much as B3D does, that should be very interesting!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#13]
here ya go..yes...no more wobbling since MD3 actually deal with floats, instead of integers in MD2...

download linky
http://nash.wanzafran.com/ExportMD3-max2009.zip

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#14]
Thanks naughty, that's useful for me too!