ALE Maps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ALE Maps

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hiya Guys,

over the years, I've been experimenting with the ALE landscape program to create my maps. You would think that by now, I owuld have been able to load a simple amp into a .bb program by now, but alas, life and its problems.

Anyway, I've used the loadmesh function to load a map, but all it does is load the mesh itself, and not the textures. Now I'm either lighting the scene incorrectly, or I'm not extracting the textures from the .b3d file.

I've searched the code archives to see if anyone else has uploaded a routine to load a ALE file, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if there is a routine to load a ALE map into Blitz?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2008) [#2]
You can do 1 of 2 things. You can extract the textures from ALE then use

Graphics3D 800, 600, 0, 2

AmbientLight 255, 255, 255 ;set light

cam = CreateCamera() ;make camera

PositionEntity cam, 0, 1, 0 ;position camera

CameraRange cam, .1, 1000000 ;set camera range

land = CreatePlane() ;create land please remove

EntityAlpha land, .5

dummyobj = CreateCube() ;please delete me this is used to see if the camera will move

PositionEntity dummyobj, 0, 1, 8 ;position cube

;myobj = LoadMesh("mymesh.b3d") ;Replace mesh's location here

;mytex = LoadTexture("mytex.jpg") ;Replace texture's location here

;EntityTexture myobj, mytex

;Add anything else here

;Add any more meshes and / or textures to be loaded here

While Not KeyHit(1)

If KeyDown(200) Or KeyDown(208) Then MoveEntity cam, 0, 0, (KeyDown(200)-KeyDown(208))*.1

If KeyDown(203) Or KeyDown(205) Then TurnEntity cam, 0, (KeyDown(203)-KeyDown(205))*1, 0

UpdateWorld()
RenderWorld()
Flip
Wend

OR you could have ALE automatically texture it, THEN export it.

~DarkShadowWing~

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks DarkShadowWing,

I have some questions!

Why would I want to create a plane for land, then remove it?

It is to my understanding that the .b3d file contains everything from the mesh to textures, and any animation information within the mesh.
Therefore the texture should be in the .b3d file.
So when I loadmesh, why doesn't it work?

Have ALE automatically create it. Yeah, that is what programs like ALE, TED, and l3dt is for. There are 3 optiions for exporting, the .b3d file, (which I used to save the maps) the .x file, and a prop .txt file.
Which one were you referring to?

BTW, while we are on the subject, does anyone know of a loaded for the l3dt maps for blitz. I saw a demo of the standard version, and even though it only 2d in design, the maps creatred with that program is awesome.

The only reason I wouldn't buy it for Torque is because the GeoTerrain fulfills my needs for the Torque program. but for Blitz, or 3dGamestudio, the program would be awesome indeed!

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2008) [#4]
1) I used a plane as an example for you. thats why i said to delete it.

2) Double check to make sure, otherwise export it without the textures, and texture it with blitz (bad idea i know, but thats 1 way), otherwise, i suggest u use another 3d model editor to view if ur textures are on it. One other option would be to save your model with the textures applied as .x then transfer it to .b3d using another 3d modeler. (Best idea)

3) No idea. Sorry.

~DarkShadowWing~

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2008) [#5]
@DarkShadowing,

I know you're trying to be helpful, but I have to ask some questions.

You're describing ALE as a 3D modeler as opposed to a landscape creator. Have you ever used ALE?

ALE does not have an option to seperate the textures from the mesh model.

BTW, I have toyed with the idea of texturing the model within Blitz as a final option, if nothing else works. I was looking for other options first before i make that decision.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2008) [#6]
well. ur best bet is to save as x and transfer to b3d. use a program that CAN save textures =)

~DarkShadowWing~

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
Refering to your first post, make sure your textures are in the same folder as the mesh/imae used to generate the mesh. If not, it won't be textured.

You may have a tough time texturing the mesh manually in blitz, as each texture layer, is generally built from a seperate surface within that mesh, so you'd need to use commands such as paintsurface, and load your texture into a brush.

Try putting the textures in the same folder as the mesh/image first off.

On a side note, i've loaded ALE maps into blitz, via the loadmesh function provided, and not had a problem. You could always debug the function and see if the textures are loading.