Blitz3D coordinates limit?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D coordinates limit?

Sake906(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have never read anywhere if Blitz3D has a "world limit", but I do experience that when my players move too far from 0,0,0, things begin to become jerky and inaccurate. Multisurface meshes begin to shake and so do Hierarchy structures, when rotated and positioned.

This is definetly not a problem given by my machine, as it seems to happen no matter the hardware. Is there a way to overcome this?

big10p(Posted 2008) [#2]
It's due to the accuracy of floating point numbers. Floats only have 6 (or maybe 7, I forget) digits of accuracy. Note I don't mean they have 6 digits of accuracy after the decimal point, I mean they have 6 digits accuracy in total.

e.g. a number like 1.23456 is accurate to 5 digits after the decimal point, but 12345.6 is only accurate to 1 digit after the decimal point. That's why getting too far away from 0,0,0 causes things to start jumping around.

Andy(Posted 2008) [#3]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=55146#613983

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#4]
You can help eliminate this by either moving everything back around the 0,0,0 or, using the wbuffer command, giving you a linear buffer. The accuracy is based on the camerarange you set up i believe?