Dead Chaos won't run on my machine!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Dead Chaos won't run on my machine!!!

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2008) [#1]
The new game Dead Chaos advertised on the Blitz homepage brings up an important issue. It will not run on any of my machines, because it requires a graphics card of at least 1280 x 1024, while my machines are only 1280 x 800.

I have an opinion why game developers do this, but I wuill discuss this in another thread!

The concern that this brings up is that, i know that Blitz3d is capable of DirectX 7 support, but I never really bothered to learn about the resolution. What is Blitz's default resolution, what resolution does it support, and can you programmatically change it?

dynaman(Posted 2008) [#2]
> What is Blitz's default resolution, what resolution does it support, and can you programmatically change it?

Blitz has no "default resolution" Whatever the graphics card can handle is what blitz can handle. The choice of what each game can handle is up to the developer of each game.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
Believe me that game doesn't worth any trouble. Full of very simple bugs. It's not enjoyable. There is no crosshair, animations suck etc. etc.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
I'm pretty sure Dead Chaos wasn't even written in Blitz3D. The website credits Ogre.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2008) [#5]
Wow,
@Mortis and Gabriel,

You guys are pretty down on the game. I've only downloaded the demo, have you two played the game?

@dynaman

After I posted thie post, I looked at the Blitz3d manual. I think my answer is in the Graphics3d command. Even though the manual says that 640 x 400 and 800 x 600 are common resolutions, you're saying that we can use any number as long as the 3d card supports the resolution we are requesting!

dynaman(Posted 2008) [#6]
> you're saying that we can use any number as long as the 3d card supports the resolution we are requesting!

Pretty much - although blitz can't handle things like dual monitors (at least is what I've read in a couple of posts). Any single monitor resolution that DX7 can handle, blitz can handle.

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#7]
Amanda, use something like this:

nNumRes = CountGfxModes3D()
For mode = 1 To nNumRes
gfw = GfxModeWidth( mode )
gfh = GfxModeHeight( mode )
gfd = GfxModeDepth( mode )
m$ = Str$(gfw)+" x "+Str$(gfh)+" x "+Str$(gfd)+" bit"
print m$
Next

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
You guys are pretty down on the game. I've only downloaded the demo, have you two played the game?

Er, I wasn't down on the game. I just said it appears to be using Ogre, which would mean it probably wasn't written in Blitz3D. No, I haven't played it, as I didn't care for the screenshots.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#9]
I played the demo and what I posted above is my opinion, no one has to agree.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#10]
I did play demo and i dont like it..very 'flat' and commands are really non tuned..main character when demo start, moving in one speed and suddenly slow down and looking like slow motion..zombie i try to kill so many times, keep poping up(is that suppose to be like that?) and its easier to hit mice ballz than that zombie..thats moment i dropped off game, and left it..mybe later game turn to be cool..i just had no time to explore that...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#11]
..by the way, we can post on front page here games not done with BRL products? I can post on front page game Im going to finish with Unity?? Just curious..

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#12]
Just curious. It was using OGRE. Why it is shown in Blitz showcase?

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#13]
Default resolution is 320 x 240 I think.

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#14]
"Just curious. It was using OGRE. Why it is shown in Blitz showcase?"

I think BRL will be asking themselves this question. - Skid?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#15]
Just because it's not using Blitz3D ( even if that is the case ) doesn't mean that it's not using any BRL product.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2008) [#16]
BlitzMax + Ogre?

BlitzPlus + Ogre Wrapper?

or is it Ogre + BlitzMax? ;)

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#17]
That would have been my guess.

They could even just have used Maplet for level creation XD

big10p(Posted 2008) [#18]
It will not run on any of my machines, because it requires a graphics card of at least 1280 x 1024
Really?! That's just ridiculous.