Making a low poly lego brick

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Making a low poly lego brick

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello,

I've got myself a relatively low poly lego brick (err hem 13400 faces). This 'not so low poly brick is causing some performance issues when I load say, 10 of them in my physics engine.

I am attempting to reduce the poly count within Wings, does anyone have any other suggestions for reducing the poly count ?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
You don't have to reduce poly, just model a cube at the same size, attach your brick to it via parenting, set it's alpha to zero and use it as a physics object. Haven't tried it myself but it's what you do for fast collision.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#3]
thanks mortis will investigate. I was having bother with the 'space' around my lego bricks' being not quite enough in one axis and too much in another just before my computer crashed. Gotta do other stuff now.... swimming then archery.

Will have another stab with my bouncy lego bricks tonight. I'm driving a car through them... eventually.

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#4]
Why on earth don't you just use an elongated cube with a simple brick texture on it?????

You just need a texture of the little dot thing on top, perhaps 64x64 or 128x128, then map the rest of it to a single pixel so it comes out as a block of one colour.

Even if you modelled the little dots with, for example, an 8-sided cylinder, you should end up with a brick with only a couple of hundred polys, not 13000!!!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
I've got myself a relatively low poly lego brick (err hem 13400 faces)
O_O

Can you show a pic? I have to see that!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
as GfK said..i would REALLY like to see where went 13400 faces for..cube..

big10p(Posted 2008) [#7]
I'm guessing he's fully modeled the brick i.e. including all the peg thingies that stick out the top, as well as the holes underneath. Maybe?

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yes, but still... 13400 faces? Those must be silky smooth holes and pegs.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#9]
@big10p yep you're right the model has the hole underneath with space just like a real lego brick. @ the lego on top of each raised cylinder. In fact it was this which I moved into B3d with ultimate unwrap. (;-). Of to get a treadmill we 'won' of ebay. Chow. Heres where I sourced the brick from:

http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=43398

big10p(Posted 2008) [#10]
Woah, is the Lego logo even modeled? That would explain the face count. :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#11]
I would believe someone if they told me they just took some pictures of some real legos and put them on there.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#12]
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=24220

that one above has got 357000 polygons, I used one of these associated with a HNC in BIT last year. I wonder if the college could just get the software to program a 3d version of the lego..... virtualisation taken a step too far ?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#13]
I would have to buy it myself to make sure they didn't just take a picture of the real thing! I don't see how they do it?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#14]
There's a free cad program called l-cad and there's a renderer called l-draw that has a all the parts models.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#15]
thanks craig, will have a look. I re-modelled the image in UU3D and Wings, lot less polys but left me with an annoying 'spear' that could not be deleted in Wings.

Rroff(Posted 2008) [#16]

Did that once to help someone with their coursework :D the legs are hollow with proper holes, etc. like the real thing... and has the text as polygons too... whole thing is less polygons that those bricks...

My point being it should be possible to make those bricks in a LOT less polygons and still look almost if not as good... also if your not too picky you could use a bump map for the lego text and save on a ton of polygons...

That aside you don't want to be using the full detail model for collision detection ever.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#17]
thanks Rroff