How to apply two textures to two sides of a cube

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How to apply two textures to two sides of a cube

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have created 100 cubes, more oblong rectangle shapes which represent cars 'bodies'. I wish to apply the numbers 0 to 99 to the top and bottom of each car. I plan to use 10 number images (0-9), to create the 0 to 99 textures, then identify the top and bottom of each oblong as I create each car body and apply the number to the top and bottom face once I have identified them. So I have my numbers,

1. Would I be better using gifs or pngs for the numbers.
2. How do I glue the numbers together to make a single texture (i.e. 3 next to 6 would make my 36 texture.)
3. How do I identify the top and bottom faces of my cubes.
4. How do I then apply the texture to the two identified faces?

Thanks in advance, BP.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
1) Textures are best as PNGs (you can't use GIFs).
2) Can you not use 2 quads (replacing each cube face) with a digit on each?
3) Not sure.
4) Create a new quad surface with vertices at the same positions?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#3]
thanks of to find out what a quad is (;-)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#4]
quad = quadrangle = face = 2 triangles (and 4 vertices)

Warner(Posted 2008) [#5]
This example shows a quad:

Are you creating the meshes from code, or are you loading them from a file. And in that case, are you using LoadMesh or LoadAnimMesh ?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#6]
The meshes are being created from code, thanks for the code example will fire up my Blitz PC when I get home and try it out. Right tried it out, added another mesh, so I suppose I somehow add my png(s) to each surf somehow ?:-

Warner(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yes, maybe this example might be helpful:

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#8]
that code looks ideal, have gave it a whirl AND it does the job brilliantly. Thanks for the help.