Game Project

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Game Project

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey everybody....what do you say about working together to make an FPS or something???

_33(Posted 2008) [#2]
What do you mean, like 10 people working in the same project? Or, you're looking for someone for your own project? Or, you want to join an already established project?

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#3]
Sorry I didn't make my self clear. I mean that:

1. a group of people get together (right here) and come up with a game.

2. we assign each person a job

3. when a person has his job finished, he/she will post it in this forum.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#4]
Uh. Thats not a really organized way to get a project done with a team structure. I doubt anyone would want to do it.

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#5]
I was just giving an example...I wouldn't do it that way!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#6]
So...we can work out the stucture of all that in a second. Right now I just want to know who's interested. Are you interested, Xzider???

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#7]
Depends on the project for me. Maybe a more detailed project summary?

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well, what kind of project would you like to do? I'm fine with any kind :)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
For what its worth, this has been tried many times before and has failed spectacularly pretty much every time.

You generally get people involved that can't be bothered to finish anything by themselves, and think that by joining a 'team' such as this, other people will do all the work and they'll get some of the credit. When they realise that everybody else is doing it for the same reason, it all tails off and that's normally the end of it.

We can all sit around dreaming up games til the cows come home. I'd suggest that you come up with a game you are able to complete by yourself.

Just some advice (based on seeing it happen here many many times over the last eight years), so take from it what you will.

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#10]
WOW. So any body here want to COMMIT to a game and FINISH what we start? I was taught all my life to finish what I started,never give up, and the rewards will be great (in this case the reward will be a game). So what do ya'll say? How about you GfK?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#11]
I was taught all my life to finish what I started,never give up
Did whoever told you that, also tell you never to rely on other people so that you don't get let down?

How about you GfK?
Sure. I hear they forecast snow in Hell for next week.

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#12]
Did whoever told you that, also tell you never to rely on other people so that you don't get let down?
No, and I don't care if I get let down;I'm going to finish what I started (if we ever get started) regardless of any help.

Sure.I hear they forecast snow in Hell for next week.

Does that mean you're in???

GfK(Posted 2008) [#13]
No :)

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#14]
Why not??? Besides the whole "never finish" crap.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#15]
Because I'm too busy not finishing my own stuff. :)

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#16]
Gizmo, why dont you start the project and upload the source very now and then, then if people want to chime in with fixes or better ways of doing things then they are welcome to?

At least you can get the ball rolling :)

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#17]
Ok. That sounds like a good idea :) Only one problem: I don't know how to upload data to this site.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#18]
Erm think he meant put it on your own site:) Maybe start a CVS or something. Or find a free hosting site, upload the source code to there, post a link from here, people who want to help will send you code updates. Then you put the code into the main source, re-upload etc... Maybe just post the code here as an actual post. Various options. There are some people who will actually finish the game though, don't give up ALL hope.

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#19]
Ok. I've made sites before, but never put them on the Internet...Doesn't that cost money? By the way, what is a CVS?????

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thats why I said FREE site:) Like www.freewebhosting.com but try to find a better one, the one above has alot of ads

CVS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#21]
Oh. Thanks ;)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#22]
I will help but only a little because I have too much homework right now :(

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#23]
Thanks Nate the Great. So what type of game would you like to do?

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#24]
hey gizmo,
i already have a fps game project started but on my site...the game is called rumbling darkness...you are welcome to come and help out...we need all the help we can get...here is the link to the main site...
jansdcreations.com
and here is the link to the forums where the project is...
jandscreations forums
you can download what we have so far and bring your ideas and skills..all the media is included in the download and i have another update coming out real soon...thanks, pirate

ps...i have also been taught never to give up and the reward is great...when we finish this game it will be given away in the free games forum at my site...then i will start another project...help...or no help...right now we have 3 people working on the project...

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#25]
Cool. I'll definately check it out :)

I'll get back to you as soon as I can =)

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#26]
I just made an acount on the site and I'm waiting on my activation code to be sent.......

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#27]
Just activated my acount :)

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#28]
I looked over the code and it's very good: well created, well commented, and well thought out. This is going to be fun :)

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#29]
I'll start on the game right away :)

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#30]
Heya GIZMO, have you ever completed a game before? (regardless of the size of it, whether it was a pong clone or a Warcraft 3)

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#31]
Yeah. About 3-4 good games.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#32]
Just reading this. This makes me think we do need a LFG (Looking for group) forum page. How else are blitz coders meant to get groups together to make projects?

Each project spec should contain the following when asking for team members:
Game Type (FPS/RTS/RPG/MMO/Puzzle/etc...)
Base Language (Blitz3D,BlitzPlus,BlitzMax)
2D/3D/2D in 3D
Number of people required
Expected length of project (3 months / 1 year / etc...)
Multiplayer (Local / Online)
Platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux)

Skills required (3D modeller / Level designer / story writer (script + overall story) / sound effects maker / musician / 2D animator / 2d texture artists / 2D pixel artists / developers / website designer / multiplayer developers / script writers (quests etc...) / Player support (for online large scale project) / testers.

Communication method: Email / Skype / Face-to-face meetings / work in same building (for locally situated teams).

Commitment required (part-time / full-time)

The list goes on really, but it would be really helpful, and would help a lot of high profile blitz projects get off the ground.

I think the reason most blitz projects don't get further than a one or two man game is for this very reason.

Actually, IU see someone asking what games Gizmo has written before, why not have a profile page for each blitz user her that shows all games they've written before and their role in making those games. this would help with recruitment greatly.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#33]
also another stumbling block is lack of media skills and those that do have them are normally tied up with their own programs

you can teach davinci to code but he might not get you to draw, ie some gfx artists have taken up blitz and other lingos to get the game ideas they had off the ground and you could be a great coder but even with davinci's help you might only ever be able to draw stick figures (and davinci would probably be banging his head against a wall)

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#34]
GIZMO, I'd be interested in working with you, do you have any kind of design document for the game yet? I've been wanting to work on an FPS for a while, as I'm a big FPS fan.

Can you show the games you've already written? Have you released them with source code so people can see your coding ability?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#35]
Just don't invite Frank Taylor :oP

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#36]
Just don't invite Frank Taylor :oP

LOL!!!!

Can you show the games you've already written? Have you released them with source code so people can see your coding ability?

I could, but I don't know how.

By the way....if you are interested..... me, pirate, and a few other guys are making an fps right now. Just click this: Click Me You have to make an acount though.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#37]
You'll need a good level editor. That way, people can work with the editor, and not need access to the code.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#38]
I think the key to a good project where people are devided by distance is specifying the requrements as much as possible in advance. Get your storyline sorted out, get your dimensions for sprites and scenery sorted quickly so the artists can get on with things without worrying about changing requirements. this way the coders can happily work with placeholder graphics waiting on the artists delivering the finished graphics, same with sound effects.
Oh,and the level editor should be done first to allow the level designers to get on with their work too.
There's a good series of videos on youtube showing a team writing an RPG game, the roles are pretty well defined and it's fun to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/gyrovorbis