AVG flagging my program as a Trojan

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/AVG flagging my program as a Trojan

Liberator(Posted 2008) [#1]
AVG virus scanner with the latest definitions is flagging anything I create with Blitz as a "Trojan horse PSW.Goldun.KE". I can even create a new file with nothing in it except:

AppTitle "Kingdom Elemental v1.56"

Compile it into a .exe and it gets flagged.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Can anyone test this and confirm it is not just me?

Thanks!

markcw(Posted 2008) [#2]
Try previous versions of B3d. I once compiled some code in PB which was flagged as a trojan or something by AVG but it was my code not PB's.

puki(Posted 2008) [#3]
The name of the exe can trigger this, or a variable/function name inside the program. Some checkers will look for particular names.

If you are creating a 'blank' exe, then it is something inside Blitz.

Spybot Search and Destroy has a couple of times flagged b3d as a trojan or something similar - based on the extension name of b3d.

Lots of Blitzers have AVG, but I don't see a flood of people saying they have this to.

You need to run an alternative malware checker on your PC to be sure.

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#4]
I saw this same thing today with my .b3d pipeline. (The compiled viewer)

AVG moved it to the vault, but I'm still looking into it here.

Liberator(Posted 2008) [#5]
With nothing in the file except "End" it still gets flagged as the

"Trojan horse PSW.Goldun.KE"

Which they have no information about on their web site. Very annoying, let me know if anyone else has this problem.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
AVG is sucker anyway..i purposely discinnect one of my machines from internet during default scheduled scan, and leave it like that until next day..and funny part is that next scan again discover same 'threats' as previous day even they were 'healed' or moved to vault..point is that I havent use that machine at all after first scan or connect it to internet..AVG is for trash can..

ervin(Posted 2008) [#7]
I've been having this same problem with my Sabre Wulf remake that I've just released a WIP of.

Some people have reported that exact same "trojan". Grrrrr...
I've even installed AVG myself to try it (I normally run a different anti-virus) - and my game came up clean!

Sigh...

Liberator(Posted 2008) [#8]
Do you have the latest virus definitions for AVG on your computer? I think it was a recent update.

ervin(Posted 2008) [#9]
I don't use AVG (I use Vipre), so I downloaded AVG about 2 hours ago to check out the problem with my own eyes.

I performed a full defs update, and my game came up clean.
So now I'm stumped.

This could become a serious problem real fast for B3D developers...

ervin(Posted 2008) [#10]
I've put up a post on the AVG forums about this.
http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,151027,151027,backpage=,sv=#msg-151027

ervin(Posted 2008) [#11]
Interesting development...

I've posted a new version of my remake, and one of the forumites at retro remakes (who had AVG report the "trojan") has said that the new version is "clean".
http://files.filefront.com/wulf2zip/;12021458;/fileinfo.html

The difference?
My original version was packed using the BlitzMediaLinker. All the graphics were packed into a single exe along with the blitz executable.
The new version is not packed - it's just the blitz exe along with a separate folder for the graphics.

The BlitzMediaLinker is clean as far as I know, but the way it works seems to make AVG think that there is some trojan-like activity happening.
Grrr...

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#12]
The BlitzMediaLinker is clean as far as I know, but the way it works seems to make AVG think that there is some trojan-like activity happening.

Or someone else did happen to make a trojan using B3D + MediaLinker, and AVG got a bit overzealous determining the signature of the virus?

(Similar to how some antivirus programs flag everything compressed with molebox as a virus, regardless of the actual program itself)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#13]
If you have a virus already, then it may be messing with your hard drive and causing AVG to call anything that is an exe a virus.

P.S. I put the word trojan in my apptitle and my virus scanner flagged it almost instantly :)

ervin(Posted 2008) [#14]
Following up on my post to the AVG forums...
My post has mysteriously disappeared.

What the heck???

@ xlsior - yes, that's probably what happened.
Molebox has problems with anti-virus as well?
Sigh... there goes any plans to distribute a single exe instead of an exe and supporting media files.

Liberator(Posted 2008) [#15]
I uninstalled AVG because it was bugging the hell out of me and today I got a response from AVG support about the problem. They gave me some instructions so I reinstalled AVG and updated it and now it does not flag any of the blitz created .exes as a virus, so I am guessing they fixed it already? I did not write down the virus definitions of the version that was flagging but I should have. Now I can't send them the report either cause I can't get it to flag as a virus.