Online Play??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Online Play??

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey guys. I was wondering how to make an online game. Could you show me a really simple example on how to setup an online game, preferebly using the DirectPlay command set?

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
http://www.rottbott-studios.com/rottnet.html

this is a very simple and nice lib that you can use to build one

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#3]
And HERE'S an example from the code archives showing you how a basic FPS online game goes together.

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#4]
Cool, I'll try rottbot.

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#5]
Ok, that didn't work out to well. Is there any thing you guys know about working with DirectPlay insted of UDP/TCP?

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#6]
Never mind what I just said. I'm concerned about safety....what does it take to open an internet game in my local network? To where two or three computers in my house can play together.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#7]
Perhaps it would be better to make a game before you make an online game. You don't seem to have much knowledge of networking in general, and network programming can be very hard. FYI DirectPlay is not instead of UDP/TCP. DirectPlay is simply a higher level wrapper. It still uses UDP. Furthermore, DirectPlay has been deprecated. Microsoft are now pushing Games For Windows Live instead.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hmm, Gizmo - what sort of online play you are after? RTS? FPS?

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#9]
Well for now I just want to know how to connect together on a local network. For example: If there are computers on the same local network, can they connect together through 'StartNetGame' perhaps, without really getting global?

Game Producer,

I'm going to be making an FPS.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#10]
This might help, its in the code archives as well:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2238

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#11]
wowthatscomplicated!

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#12]
Well..There is no CreateMMO("BestGameEvar",1337) command:) Though I am thinking of making one...Hmmmm...