memory acces violation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/memory acces violation

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#1]
hi, i don't know why in some computers a blitz game crash, with the error "memory acces violation"... when the same game, in others computer, with windows xp or vista, works fine...

saludos...
Santiago

LedgerARC(Posted 2008) [#2]
I used to have the same problem with almost all of my games. What your probably doing is hardcoring the graphics setting. like graphics3d 1024,768,16,1 won't work on some computers, what you should do is use the command countgfxmodes()

I think this would work... if that isn't the problem then if you could post some code it would be really helpfull. or you can try making it an EXE file with the debug inabled and then run it on the computers it doesn't work on. Then see what it says.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#3]
it could be the color mode.

I always use graphics3d 640,480,0,1

The zero specifies the highest color mode for any computer so I always use that. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#4]
That normally reports something like "unable to set video mode" if its a problem with the graphics setting rather than a mav.

Could it be a memory leak? On the PCs that crash, is it after a period of time and do they have less mem? Or is the crash immediate?

The other thing could be the graphics cards. I noticed in some of my programs in the past some cards cannot handle as many verts per surfaces as others and a MAV would result. Also are you using things that may not be supported on some cards like cubemapping etc.. maybe :/

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#5]
I had a problem with CreateTexture command and integrated Intel graphics used in laptops. Resulting MAV every time. It occurred when texture was created with flag 2+8 (alpha+mipmap). Only correction was to use 1+2+8. Using LoadTexture does not create this problem if you don't clear the texture filters.

There might be other "features" like this lurking about.

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#6]
thanks.... i use graphics3d 800,600,32,1

i go to try using 800,600,0,1

maibe is that....

i think is very important know why this errors exist in many blitz game...

i have 3 computers, i never had that problem, maibe a dll, a driver or file..
some frameworks or something like that installed in windows???

i hope we can find a solution of this problem...

regards...
Santiago