What's a Good 3d Animation Program?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What's a Good 3d Animation Program?

Sir Gak(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have a fantasy 3d dungeon game in development. I'm stopped at the point of creating 3-d animated "monsters" to populate my dungeon. Obviously I want sword-wielding baddies, but also I want tooth and fang monsters, maybe blobbie-thingees, etc. What's an inexpensive 3-d animation program whose animations can be used in Blitz 3D?

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
Fragmotion is great for low poly models. It does a lot more than just modelling tho, and is very, very cheap. It also supports B3D.

PaceMaker is definitely worth a look, but concentrates purely on animation.

Other people like Blender (free), or Milkshape3D.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
I'm one of those other people, blender is the way to go!

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#4]
Blender all the way!

Heaps of tutorials online Import/export to loads of formats including MD2.

Once you get the hang of the weird interface, the production process is pretty quick for low poly models and skinning/animation.

Link Here

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#5]
...Import/export to loads of formats including MD2

And B3D

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2008) [#6]
I'm quite fond of TrueSpace from Caligari myself. They have recently released version 7 for free.

Here's the link

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#7]
another vote for fragmotion...you can't beat it for $25...it is a very good program for exporting to a lot of formats...

H. T. U.(Posted 2008) [#8]
Go to http://www.Freebyte.com . Tons of free programs (including modellers). Personally, I use a combination of modellers, mainly Anim8or (not the sprite animator) for simple models and Blender for advanced models and effects.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#9]
Perhaps you'd receive even more feedback on the Content Creation Tools forum.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#10]
Obviously I want sword-wielding baddies, but also I want tooth and fang monsters, maybe blobbie-thingees
I'd rather have all of that lot chasing me through the twisty streets of Wapping, rather than spend five minutes trying to make head nor tail of the Blender GUI.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#11]
Yeah, most choose Blender because it's free (and allegedly has all the features a major comercial package would have), not because it's easy. I suggest you try some demos of the big stuff (mainly, 3DS Max. It's a boon to your work if you get the hang of it - which is not even hard, trust me).

Sir Gak(Posted 2008) [#12]
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Now, the next thing I might as well ask, given that it's logical that I might suck at creating 3-d art, is whether there are animated 3-d sword-wielding baddies, tooth and fang monsters, and maybe blobbie-thingees already out there, that are being offered for sale?

Kalisme(Posted 2008) [#13]
Sorry to extend a topic that you seem to have given up on, but have you tried wings3d? I'm not sure if it's even close to blender when it comes to flexibility, but it's much easier to learn... very simple layout.
Then for animation I'd definatley agree with milkshape... not free, but definatley my favourite animation program for games design.