Question about JV-ode vs. Blitz-ode

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Question about JV-ode vs. Blitz-ode

syntax(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have been working on a project for a while, and when it came time to drop some physics in the environment, i went with the cheapest thing i could find (Devil Physics Engine = free). However, I seem to have a problem sometimes when the physics are updating on the call for

ODE_dWorldQuickStep

It says sometimes that there was a "stack overflow" and other times a different error message. this of error of course causes the build to crash, but it was free, so i guess i expected as much. Now, as im nearing the final stretch of my project, i am in need of a physics engine that doesn't crash on me. in my research, i found JV-ODE physics. looks pretty good. before i buy it though, i would like to know from those of you who already have it, if any such problem exists similar to the Blitz ODE_dWorldQuickStep "stack overflow" error. And in case there is anything else wrong with JV-ODE, i would like to know that too.

Thanks!

VIP3R(Posted 2008) [#2]
A stack overflow in ODE will happen if too many objects overlap when created. It causes too many collision contacts during the stepping process.

Provided the simulation is setup correctly, ODE is extremely stable. I believe the Devil engine uses a much older version of ODE though.