lighting a 3d world studio map

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/lighting a 3d world studio map

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#1]
so i have a 3d world studio map exptored and i am using a customized 3dworldstudio exporter, how can i get lights or the lightmesh command to work with these? i have tried but it gives me errors

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
As far as I know, 3D World Studio exported b3d maps doesn't have normals. Thus, you cannot use light commands, use lightmapping function of 3DWS.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#3]
gile[s] works great for lighting 3dws maps...

get it here...frecle.net

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
Why use gile[s] while there is built-in lightmapper for 3DWS?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#5]

Ask the creator. One of his big selling points for 3DWS was that you could use Gile[s] to lightmap your scenes.

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#6]
to pirate, i have already lightmapped my level, but i wanted to use blitz's internal lighting commands for example a flashlight. but mortiis has answered my question.

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#7]
different question though, is there a way to get the blitz 3dworldstudio loader function to load terrain i build in 3dworldstudio?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#8]
It already does, to add collision though you need a recursive function like this.

Function EntityType_( entity, collisiontype )
		EntityType entity, collisiontype

For c = 1 To CountChildren( entity )
			EntityType_( GetChild( entity, c ), collisiontype )
		Next
	End Function

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#9]

gile[s] is ten times better...

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#10]
mortiis, i have collisions on everything in my level, im using that ledwerks advanced scene loader, and i have had success with adding collisions to everything but for terrain, i cant get the function to find the terrain. so im wondering what the terrain is called when it is exported?

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#11]
also, if i use giles and then export my model again, can i still load it using the 3dworldstudio load world function?

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#12]
mortiis, thank you SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! i have to modify it a little, but now my terrain works just fine. thanks again dude

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#13]
No problem dude :D I don't know about gile[s], if it doesn't combine all the brushes into one mesh, all will be fine.

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#14]
is there a way to get the layers of a terrain?