Breakable Limbs, How?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Breakable Limbs, How?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#1]
Let's say you want to add dismemberment and breakable body parts in a medieval action game. What would be the way you would follow when you want to do this in blitz3D?

(ex. blade of darkness, die by the sword)

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#2]
the simple way:
pre animated in MD2 format. Imagine a head getting chopped off while the body drops to its knees....
the hard way: Load the b3d/3ds file as an animated model and find the children (the parts) the unparent them before moving them seperatley.
It's a concept only.....

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#3]
JV-ODE?

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#4]
In the real world i'd use a sledgehammer :)

Seriously, i guess you would have to make a limb with 'breakpoints' and each bit as a sub-object of the arm. I dont think b3d is capable of actual realtime mesh fractures at the speed required unless someone has done something clever.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#5]
does JV-ODE support breakable joints?

Rroff(Posted 2008) [#6]
The way games usually do this...

They create a model first with the parts as seperate objects and animate it with joints/skeleton... then they export each object to a seperate model file - the game loads in all the model files and attaches them to one central "pivot" for the character - then when it detects a hit on one part that would cause enough damage for it to detach - unloads that part and creates a temp entity with that part that falls off - that inherets the original position and orientation from the part thats unloaded.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#7]
I see