Tomb Raider style

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tomb Raider style

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..what would be your suggestion regarding animation/logic motion for character what has to perform similar actions like Lara Croft? Check collisions between hand bones and hidden colider on wall edges(or any other place i want to perform such actions)....whats best idea you could pull off??

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#2]
Checking for hand bones is a bad idea. Instead just check the box around the char, the box on the destination then the relative heights of each box.

If lara is near the block she wants to hang off and she's "within arms reach" in terms of heights, its enough to snap her to that height and play her animation.

All you do then is use tweening to smoothly move her in line. In reality, the lara croft games have a lot of "block" coordinates and snapped coords going on but use tweening to sort it all out.

In most cases it will look perfect, and you can then line up the relevent animations/chars/etc.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
I agree with Rob. Just detect a near by ledge, and if an action button is pressed, face the character is line with the ledge, and play the animation.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
..yup..thats what i have decided to do, since i download some development shots for Tomb Raider, where I use to see exactly that, and what they did...so im going to make my lil girl jumping like that ;) Ill post some fraps soon ;)