Animated images...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Animated images...

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hiya,

I need to use an animation which should overlay some sprites I already have. The animation is 1024 x 1024 and is about 60 frames.

I have a sort of chalk writing effect which writes over the top of two other bits of text sprites which are underneath. We have created all the elements and I can swap them around, but I was hoping to use a transparent animated gif to overlay the other text sprites so I could keep the quality of the underlying text as good as possible.

Can anyone suggest a clever approach to enable this please? I could convert all the animation into a load of single frames, but it seems a little overkill.

An animimage would be huge as each frame is 1024 x 1024.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

IPete2.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
60 1024x1024 frames means whatever it is you're doing will need a minimum of a 256MB graphics card. A touch excessive for some text?

Any reason why you can't use an animated bitmap font?

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#3]
GFK,

No reason at all - I was originally looking to do smaller sections but the way it worked out means it would be tricky, but your idea of a bitmap font maybe what I should look at

- thank you for the idea - I shall try using sprite candy to get the effect we want.

IPete2.