TerrainDetail

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/TerrainDetail

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#1]
Does anyone know what the default value is for TerrainDetail, if TerrainDetail is never actually called?

Matty(Posted 2008) [#2]
I think it is 2000, but an easy way to check is to create one, point the camera at it and perform a 'trisrendered' operation.

Xaron(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yes it is 2000.

Regards - Xaron

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Are you sure its 2000?

The documentation states "Sets the detail level for a terrain. This is the number of triangles used to represent the terrain. A typical value is 2000."

'Typical' isn't necessarily 'default'.

I think it is 2000, but an easy way to check is to create one, point the camera at it and perform a 'trisrendered' operation.
This won't work. If you have a terrain with some relatively flat areas, then the built in LOD for terrains will give a much lower indication than what the detail level is actually set to.

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#5]
As GFK says.

In building an editor, I'd like to know what the default is, even if it has to be reset for each different heightmap loaded.

And after all that, what does TerrainDetail actually do?
Does it create/destroy triangles?
I've seen areas of terrain raise 3 units in front of me as I approach - does this mean mean that TerrainDetail is set too low for that size of terrain?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
I know i keep harping on about this, but i honestly think blitz terrains are a bad idea. Instead build your own terrain from a blitz mesh, from a heightmap image. You won't have any terrain popping, you'll have greater control over the textures and colouring via vertex colours, and no slow down whilst the LOD determines the polycount. In most cases, it's alot faster. Plus, joining up seams with multiple terrains is alot easier, because the edges never move.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1609

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#7]
Ross C - yes, and please don't keep harping on about it.

As I have harped on before, I have a 16 sq kilometer terrain (2048x2048) which resolves effectively down to a metre. Ultra-efficient and very little fps-loss. This is what Mark's terrains are good for.