Ray Pick

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Ray Pick

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..well..im looking for fast way to do raypicking between multiple entities (up to 4000 raypicks at once) in random positions...I know that Blitz raypick is slow...so i wanna use some collision library..however, only free I got is Coldet wrapper but there is no documentation at all for it, so im kind a stuck..any help will be kindly aprechiated..

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#2]
Do you need to pick against the entities collision volume's, or just detect if an entity exists within a given volume of space?

If the latter, then you may be better off doing a point-in-OBB test - particularly given the number of tests you want to perform concurrently. You can find some point-in-OBB code at:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1920

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
..I want to check is it entity or part of it visible or not in order to turn 'drone' towards it, as well as for fast way of doing raypick between my light source and camera in order to properly and fast, control lens flare system too..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
..this OOB system is nice, but relying on to pivot insertion, not surface of given entity...what i need is detection of hit with entity surface, not its pivot, and therefore clear information is specific entity visible or not..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
>>Performance of this system has been pushed very hard. You can cast a ray (a 3D line) across a 120,000 polygon mesh in less than one-tenth of a millisecond.<<

..hmm..Nuclear Glory seems to be very fast, regarding provided info on their site..unfortunately there is no trial version or something, so i can give it a try..

Tab(Posted 2008) [#6]
The Raypick in PhysX is very fast.
I'm not sure about how fast can be, but you can try it.

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#7]
NA

I had the same problem with Tank Universal - went with PhysX raycasting in the end (rubux.net addon) - although 4000 raypicks simultaneously is a going to be a load on your CPU load whatever system you use.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#8]
..Nuclear Glory is very fast, and according information about speed over 250 000 poly mesh, it seems to be very fast and more than powerful for 4000 checks(maximum, in real i expect around 2300)..however, i cant see downloadable version or any version for b3D..I registered but so far I havent receive any confirmation email so I can join forums and ask..I see that there is a version 2.2 for B3D and regarding forum, very fast..anyone here can post some info more about Nuclear Glory??