MMorpg or MMofps in Blitz3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/MMorpg or MMofps in Blitz3d

panton(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi there, I've got a question.

Is it possible to create a MMOrpg or a MMOfps
In Blitz3D?

nawi(Posted 2008) [#2]
Yes, but I would choose another language/engine.

deps(Posted 2008) [#3]
No problems creating the client in it.

Blitz3D is probably too slow to create a server fast enough to handle a massive amount of online players.

nawi(Posted 2008) [#4]
Mmmorpgs typically have a server for each area, although it still wouldn't be that fast.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#5]
@deadendonline - Yes it's possible, but most who try creating a MMO in Blitz end up moving to a different language. The main issues encountered seem to involve the lack of threading support.

A few projects theat I know of are:-

Realmcrafter (MMORPG creator) - http://realmcrafter.com/
FreeWorldOnline - http://www.freeworldonline.com/
The Servant (open source game) - http://sourceforge.net/projects/servant http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=36871

Rroff(Posted 2008) [#6]
The main problem is the server - as you'd really need a console mode linux app or failing that a windows server that doesn't need 3D hardware present on the machine - quite a task with B3D...

That said it is perfectly possible to create an mmo with b3d capable of handling quite a few players - the client will be relatively easy - for the server your going to have to be a bit more inventive...

However if you've never created a singleplayer game before - theres a lot you need to learn before jumping into massively multiplayer games...

*(Posted 2008) [#7]
why not use Blitz+ for the server, its makes GUI apps and can use the blitz3d like command set.

Personally im using BlitzMax atm as it comes with everything i need, Blitz3d for prototyping 3d stuff and thats it.

nawi(Posted 2008) [#8]
Blitz3D for client, then BlitzMax/C++ etc for the server I would recommend.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#9]
or failing that a windows server that doesn't need 3D hardware present on the machine - quite a task with B3D...

I don't think 3D hardware or software support is actually required to run Blitz3D unless you set a 3D graphics mode; but I could be wrong.

Swifty(Posted 2008) [#10]
I`ve been working on a multi-player-online game for a couple years now, useing blitz3D. It`s the only language I know so i have to use it :)

Rroff(Posted 2008) [#11]
I don't think 3D hardware or software support is actually required to run Blitz3D unless you set a 3D graphics mode; but I could be wrong.

Not sure on the actual requirements - you do atleast need directx and support for such features could be iffy... but my main point was - the easiest way to handle the objects, etc. on the server is in a 3D mode - if you don't use a 3D graphics mode your going to have to do all your own 3D maths calculations, etc. which would be slow in B3D compared to running it on the GPU or in asm/C.

Wings(Posted 2008) [#12]
Answare i yes. to both.

But remember that client will have to handle all 3d code.
so you ned a protection program to prevent exe file to be corrupted by hackers.

Wings(Posted 2008) [#13]
On second thougt you just wantent to know if its possible. then yes it is. but a bitt hard.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#14]
Buy a Realm Crafter Standard license and use its code as base for your own extensions.

panton(Posted 2008) [#15]
Well, realm crafter was written in blitz3d

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#16]
If you have the time and dedication to make a MMO then don't let the fact that blitz won't support a million players put you off. If you find that your games ever gets so populor that it requires some new server code in a faster language then deal with a recode then.

You will probably find that you will either get a bit bored of the project and move on, or it never sees a massive userbase. But Blitz could easily handle a few hundred players at a time with careful mangement, which is what planeshift usually gets.

Wings(Posted 2008) [#17]
On the other hand blitz support as manny player as ever will play your mmrpg ;)

moste likly max 99 users.