Good physics engine

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Good physics engine

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello again, I want to have realistic physics in my game and I have absolutely no idea what to do. My question is, what is a good reliable easy to use physics library for Blitz3d?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
EasyTok
PhysX Wrapper
ODE

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#3]
which of these is free and user friendly?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
none free (but VERY cheap), and for me Physx is easiest..all in all..I do belive, any will do..

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#5]
I would advise against EasyTok, I bought it (and I'm actually using it at this moment) and found that it is very limited. It can't even do convex hulls (/sigh)

nawi(Posted 2008) [#6]
There is a free wrapper for Tokamak.

Rroff(Posted 2008) [#7]
PhysX could be a good one to look into... since nVidia bought up ageia they seem to be making moves towards developers - might even get it for free and it will be hardware accelerated on newer nvidia GPUs.

Al Meyer(Posted 2008) [#8]
JV-ODE. Excellent!

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#9]
JV-ODE is great and vip3r is quick to reply if you post for help. i love it!

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#10]
will jv-ode work with milkshape exported meshes?

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#11]
I downloaded the demo and put the .dll in the right folder but I get an error saying that dworldcreate does not exist

VIP3R(Posted 2008) [#12]
Place the 'JV-ODE.decls' file into the Userlibs folder of your Blitz3D installation.

Place the 'JV-ODE.dll' into the same folder as your program or demos.

Restart Blitz3D.

There's a Readme.txt included in the docs folder in case you missed it.

It should work ok with Milkshape meshes, you can send me a mesh to test if you want to be sure.

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#13]
sweet now it works, whats the difference between the demo .dll and the full version?

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#14]
wait, i looked up ODE online, and its freeware, what am i paying for from the jv-ode site?

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#15]
The wrapper that allows you to use it with Blitz3D.

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#16]
ah, I get it now
but what is the difference between the demo .dll and the full version? is it just a limited number of commands? or does it have a timer of some sort?

Charrua(Posted 2008) [#17]
yes, it runs only a few simulator steps (i donīt remember how many)
the registered version has a serial number for you in the file you must include to gain access to the .dll (library, wrapper, as you want) that matches the one the dll is waiting for.

Juan

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#18]
I thought as much

Ben(t)(Posted 2008) [#19]
I was wondering if someone could show me a video or a example of using a exported mesh with jv-ode?