Creation of multiple meshes and textures.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Creation of multiple meshes and textures.

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#1]
Having created a fair amount of meshes and decent images to go with them in Blender, I can export each mesh separetly and do have all the images in a graphics folder.
But.................
Is there a way to group all of the meshes and graphics so's I don't have to load each one seperatly and all in the right relationship to one another?
If anyone can point me to a simple Blitz3D, .3ds grouping that can be used I would be very pleased.
I could use a do loop, but with all the elements in the level, it would be very tedious and in the long run, "Not A Good Thing!". Gandalf's Blender b3d exporter which I bought ( is a good, serious bit of kit ) but is way too complex for me to get my brain around as I am a crap coder, more a graphic artist.

So a simple way, if that is possible please.

Dicon

ardee(Posted 2008) [#2]
Have you tried joining the meshes in Blender first and then exporting to .b3d?

Select a mesh, shift-select a second mesh and then Ctrl-J to join. You will be limited to 16 materials to one complete object.

Also the .b3d exporter will maintain the locations of a mesh within Blender in that the offset from 0,0,0 in Blender will be maintained when imported to B3D (i.e the centre 0,0,0 in Blender will be the centre 0,0,0 in Blitz even if thew object is offset from that point in Blender).

So you could lay out your world in Blender and then export and on import the offset will be maintained as the object centres will be at 0,0,0 even if the object is offset from there.

Or use a world editor like T.Ed or Giles etc which allows you to import and parse entire scenes.

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#3]
I did try that. Below is the code from an example that I use.
If you can see where I am "slipping up", then I will keep at it.
I get "entity does not exist", but if I rem out the "position entity" it accepts the load command.
I wonder if my b3d exporter is duff. Hm.
;......................................................................................................
; LoadMesh Example
; ----------------
Graphics3D 640,480
SetBuffer BackBuffer()
camera=CreateCamera()
light=CreateLight()
RotateEntity light,90,0,0
; Load mesh
house=LoadMesh("all.b3d")
PositionEntity house,0,0,MeshDepth(house)*2
While Not KeyDown( 1 )
RenderWorld
Flip
Wend
End

Thanks for your good advice.
Dicon

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#4]
Use LoadAnimMesh if you have multiple meshes in the hierarchy. If you have named the meshes then use findchild to get the house.

Main = LoadAnimMesh("all.b3d")
House = findchild( Main, "House" )

What does the loadmesh command return. Check to see whether house > 0 otherwise you aren't actually loading anything.

Stevie

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#5]
I am not having much luck with this. I have a feeling my Blitz3d could be the problem and could do with an upgrade. I shall have a look around.
< pause >
Just installed the latest. The one I was using was V1.73, so it was about time.
Will try again.
Thanks for the tips.

Dicon

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#6]
Final got one working part of the total looking ok when exported in b3d. YAY!!
( ahem )
My problem now lies in creating the meshes and naming the properly in Blender.

Thanks to Ardee abd Stevie G

Dicon