blitzcc.exe has stopped working?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/blitzcc.exe has stopped working?

CopperCircle(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi, I have a bug in my program that causes blitzcc to crash, which means I get no debug information. Any ideas on how to tackle this type of error?

Thanks.

PS. I am running vista are the any known issues with blitzcc.exe and vista?

puki(Posted 2008) [#2]
I've known the occasional crash - under XP.

Just in case of any weird formatting problem - if it is only one program that crashes - copy and paste the contents into notepad then create a new .bb file in Blitz3D and paste the sucker back.

CopperCircle(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks, but the program does run for ages and then crashes, I guess it a memory leak somewhere.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#4]
One thing I'll do when I have a hard time with a program (Often, hehehe), is comment out certain parts and try to run it. I have had problems to the extent that Ive had to comment out 90% of the code before I found the area that was having the problem.

I have a 8" lump on the side of my head from slapping myself and saying "uggggh! You idiot!!" hahahaha.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#5]
Write debug info out to a text file instead to get a rough idea of where you are when it crashes. I'd guess a memory leak or stack corruption.

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hi, take a look to all this commands if you use "CreateBank". I think the debugger dont cover this because this will bee to slow.

http://www.blitzforum.de/help/?subcat=4

bye

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
Open your program, then open task manager and looks at the memory usage for the application. If it is constantly rising then, you gotta a memory leak somewhere.

Sounds like a resource being freed then trying to locate that resource again. I'm sure calling freeentity only free's it from memory, but still leaves the variable holding a memory location. So try setting vars to zero after freeing and checking all resources handles for non zero values if you think they have been freed.

CopperCircle(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks for the help, time for some more investigation I think! Funny thing is I ran it on an XP machine last night and it completed its render without crashing.

Wings(Posted 2008) [#9]
We ned more information to help you..

try to pin point where in the code it stalls.

use the Stop command

and run in debug mode to find where it stop.

CopperCircle(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks, I have tried to pin point by running in debug mode, but it crashes out, including the debugger so no info...

I will try and see if it is just vista by running some more tests.