The creation of a multi-player-online game...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/The creation of a multi-player-online game...

Swifty(Posted 2008) [#1]
Two years ago I started a project, to see if it could be done..

http://smallbiggame.blogspot.com/

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#2]
Sounds like you've made some really good progress on this. This is the exact reason though why people always tell noobs not to start with an MMO. They just take years and years to write. Ideally the first game you write should take an hour or two, then 4 or 5 for the next one, then a few days, etc.... Your tenth game may take you a year or two, but by then you're getting very professional looking results and coding style (hopefully). And this assumes you actually spend 10 - 20 hours per week coding.

Sorry, I'm rambling, good effort! Keep it up.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#3]
lol, you and me both buddy. Im still working full time on this little puppy, 30-50 hours a week. But I have scaled the expectations down a little bit. I believe I have most systems implemented, except the battle system. I am still going strong just like it was the first day I started. I love the programming, model making, ideas and the whole process.

If you dont mind, Id like to ask you a few questions though...
Are you using 100% UDP?
Your own code or a 3rd party library?

What model format are you thinking of using?
I was going with b3d but due to major slowdowns because of the bone systems, I am currently experimenting with an MD2 System.

Thanks for the insight here. Its nice to see longevity in a project.

Swifty(Posted 2008) [#4]
Xyle

I`m using TCP for various reasons, after much reading on the pro`s and cons of TCP Vs UDP , I took TCP for reliabilty, UDP can be a real pain when it comes to debugging issues. I dont have the time to invest in major debug work. Also I`m not expecting 1000's of players, just a decent amout, spread among different zones.

I havn't decided on a model system yet, as I`ve been building the core game mechanics and the UI ( my own custom UI system). All 3d graphics are just temp placeholders atm.

My main problem is the amount of time I get to work on this project, which has only been about 20 hours a week. So this does effect some of my design choices.

So far I have very stable client/servers, with no hang-ups or crash issues. It has been tested with a few people logged into one zone from various countries, with almost no lag in most cases. These tests were done with the game server,login server and chat server all running on the same machine.

My goal is to have a small multi-player-persistant world. This is not going to be an MMO :)

Good luck with your project.
Swifty

http://smallbiggame.blogspot.com/