Byte per byte download is slow!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Byte per byte download is slow!

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#1]
hey;)
since no-one could help me with this problem yet, i thought i ask you how do download fast using blitz tcp.

i usualy do something like this:
for i = 1 to bytes
    writebyte file, readbyte(tcp)
next

which gets me 100 kb/s maximum.
i also tried readline/writeline which works only with html files and not with image files (600 kb/s)

do you have any idea how to read whole blocks to accelerate the whole process?
thanks in advance :)

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
It's been a while since I used BlitzPlus/Blitz3D networking commands, but you can read multiple bytes at once using ReadBytes() into a bank previously created with CreateBank(). Note, that with ReadBytes(), you also have to specify how many bytes to read which can be determined with ReadAvail(). I haven't tested it, but something like the following should work:

Local tmpBank = CreateBank(bytes)
Local i% = 0, tmpAvailBytes% = 0
Repeat
    If Eof(tcp) Then RuntimeError "TCP Connection terminated before all bytes could be downloaded. Progress: " + i + "/" + bytes + " bytes."
    tmpAvailBytes = Min(ReadAvail(tcp), bytes-i)
    ReadBytes( tmpBank, tcp, i, tmpAvailBytes )
    i=i+tmpAvailBytes
Until i>=bytes
Hope this helps. ;-)

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#3]
readbytes and writebytes seems to be for banks only or i didnt understand your idea correctly...

my code is based on BlitzGet:

I also tried reading and writing integers (=4 bytes) instead of bytes, which is WAY FASTER, but it adds 0-3 empty bytes at the end of the file which i dont really like to see...

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
You can still use the method - in fact, at present you are writing byte by byte directly to the hard-disk which is horribly slow. Instead, write the data to a memory bank, and then save the bank directly to disk. Again, not tested (as I don't have BlitzPlus/Blitz3D installed), but here is the BlitzGet() function tweaked:

Edit: Updated! I've downloaded and installed Blitz3D for you, and have tested the above code. It seems to work far faster than the old code.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#5]
ok. this is fairly fast... 1.2 MB/s!!!

EDIT: the other problem is solved, too. thanks for your help buddy ;)
i'm telling you for what i needed all this: i'm writing a program, which downloads a html file and is seeking links and downloads them, too. this way i'm able to 'download the internet'
bye ;)

Panno(Posted 2008) [#6]
devils child have you enough CD's for your cool project ?
if not i will send some ......

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#7]
no, but i have enough webspace to host my project as soon as it is finished.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#8]
ok. it is now working perfectly. thank you for your help :)