weired... debug issue.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/weired... debug issue.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2008) [#1]
been a while since i did any programming. and found myself with some spare time today..

Anyway, after a few hours of tinkering i have a situation, when I set debugmode on to track an error my code will not compile, some failed to init gfx or some such crap pops up.

when i run it in normal mode, it runs fine. trouble is I need debug to track down a problem.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
I don't have B3D installed on this computer, so forgive me if I'm off track here. Doesn't the Graphics3D command default to fullscreen in release mode and windowed in debug mode? Or something like that? In which case, you could probably work around the problem by forcing fullscreen. ( Or windowed if I have it back to front. )

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#3]
Try running the Windowed3D() Blitz3D command. If this returns false, then your computer doesn't support rendering 3D in a window, and you should set it to fullscreen (graphics mode 1), as Gabriel mentioned above.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2008) [#4]
I'm using Blitz3D but so far everything is in 2D. so just using the graphics() command..

Its really wired.

I could post the source but I would rather not as I dont know how serious I will get with the idea.

I will try flipping to Graphics3d() and see if debug works then.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2008) [#5]
"Startup Error : Graphics Create Failed"

that's the error that blitz returns when I switch debug on.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Do other games work ok? And does new blitz projects start ok?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2008) [#7]
Just checking now......

Actually.. that's strange. other projects wont build in debug mode either. what the hell is going on here..

I might need to download and install blitz3d from scratch again.. gona try a few things first tho.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2008) [#8]
I have now fully removed, and then re-installed blitz and its still doing it.

Its goto be something in the code however I cant seem to work out why anything in the code would make the compiler crap out while in debugmode.

I think I need to post the code, but its got media so will need to find a quick file host first.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#9]
Try to zero in on where in code the problem is actually occurring. Add a WaitKey to key positions in code - just before a command you suspect may be causing the problem, and print a message indicating the position in code the program is at, just before the WaitKey.

Some suspect (2D) commands would be Graphics, Flip, etc.

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#10]
Didn't someone else post they had just come back to Blitz and nothing would compile for them?

They had updated their nvidia drivers + installed XP service pack3.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2008) [#11]
its buggin out on Graphics I dont need to waitkey it.

and its only on debug. in normal compile mode its fine. but then I cant track errors so its kinda making it harder to code this small project im working on.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#12]
Try running the project without updating blitz. Also, check for the DEP thingy that tsopped some projects running.

And did you install any service packs between the peroid it ran fine and now? What about graphics card drivers?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#13]
Try it with debug off, but force it to run in a window.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#14]
Maybe you have altered some system settings? Like turning off hardware graphics acceleration.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2008) [#15]
I have since installed windows Vista. and with the same source the problem is gone so it had to be something system side rather than code/ide..

but its still a strange thing to see cos your left with no clue as to what caused the issue.