Some questions - Making an online game

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Some questions - Making an online game

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

I work for a company now and they want me to program a multiplayer game. They will take care of the server programming and they are using C++.

Game will be online 8 players per server and players will need an account to sign in and play.

Those accounts will be stored on the server programmed in C++. And all the other things like score, nick, avatar etc.

-Is there any problems for Blitz3D to work with a C++ coded server?

-How would I send the account information to the server and get the response if it's true and sign in the player, then get the score etc. data for that player?

-There will be lobbies, chat, maybe voice chat etc. Will Blitz3d online command set suffice these needs or should I go for a 3rd party solution like RakNet?

Thanks in advance.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
raknet might be a good solution for this, as its a c++ lib, so they could use it too to minimise problems, plus its already built and proven

Wings(Posted 2008) [#3]
ya

you got 2 optins..

use built in tcpip / udp

or go for the library..

Me myself build it all in blitz. Depends also if this is about an FPS or a RPG.

Coding is somehat difirent. :D

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
Actually it's lot simpler, a 3d poker game :)

-Is there any problems for Blitz3D to work with a C++ coded server?

-How would I send the account information to the server and get the response if it's true and sign in the player, then get the score etc. data for that player?

Vertigo(Posted 2008) [#5]
If its turn based... just use blitz's built in TCP/IP command set and you will be fine. Your blitz client does not at all care what the server is running, running on, or coded in. You could have a commodore 64 setup to receive tcp commands and have blitz talk to it... You only have to focus on two things. Sending data to the server that you want. And listening for incoming data from the server. There are a lot of materials out there to read to help you get started with this, but it sounds like the server guys know what they are doing if they are using C++ and coding a game server. So just work with them about a data model. Should be cake.