Which Sprite Library?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Which Sprite Library?

Headdy(Posted 2008) [#1]
Of course this has been talked about before, but it's my turn to ask.

I've been looking around the forums for the available sprite libraries for B3D, and decided to give four of them a trial run: Sprite Candy, FastImage, nSprite 2 and one called Draw3D.

Having run the demos, I'm tempted to go with Sprite Candy because of its text effects, tweening, animation commands, collisions and GUI. Most of the time I had a healthy frame rate in the demo. I also know it's a favourite here!
However, I read somewhere here that there's issues with tile-based scrolling, which at the moment is rather important as I'm making 2D games.

The others had impressive demos, though I haven't seen many relevant features with FastImage. Its demo ran the slowest, and there's that small issue with documentation, but I haven't written it off yet.

nSprite 2 seems to have the relevant features, as well as naming conventions for the functions that I'd be comfortable with. Draw3D also performed very well, and could work (I haven't looked deep enough into it yet).

At present I'm working on a traditional tile-based platformer, but I also have plans for other kinds of 2D games. If I were to purchase and/or use one sprite library, which would you recommend?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#2]
Sprite Candy is Awesome! It's one of the best 3rd party libraries I've ever used.

Panno(Posted 2008) [#3]
sprite candy !

Uber Jase(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sprite Candy is the best IMO. Its featurse are second to none.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
nSprite2 is a great library.

CodeGit(Posted 2008) [#6]
Sprite Candy is great and most probably the best one around (in my opinion). However, I have never seen any tile scrolling done with it. The author originally promised that he would produce a demo of how to achieve tile scrolling and never did (after numerous requests from users). Which leaves me to believe that it most probably CAN achieve scrolling but NOT effectively.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
I just say that sprite lib based on FreeImage will rock..I guess noone try to make lib based on that so far..

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well for TileScrolling: there wasn't really a need for it anymore I think as there are 1-3 games that already do it :)

As well you could use Draw3D for such a thing. No idea why nobody mentioned this one.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#9]
Draw3D is nice, but I really dont like way of setting coordinates..kind a weird..

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#10]
It has drawbacks and benefits like that.
And you are able to alter it or write functions to "convert" the output / input to what you want similar to degreeToRadians and vice versa for trigonometrie in most languages :)

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#11]
SpriteControl is free

Headdy(Posted 2008) [#12]
Wow :)
I haven't heard of SpriteControl up until now, I'll check that out also.

It really is a tough choice!

CodeGit(Posted 2008) [#13]
@Dreamora - "there are 1-3 games that already do it"

Interesting, which 3 tile based platform games were done with SPRITE CANDY??

Headdy(Posted 2008) [#14]
All right, so far I've been using SpriteControl and FastImage.

SpriteControl was good to begin with, but I couldn't find a way to generate a tile-based map with ease. It's probably more suited to 2D on 3D.

I take back what I've said about FastImage; so far it's been great and very simple to use, and I've been able to get a scrolling tile-based map showing with the usual x,y coordinates. I'm working on zooming.