Heightmaps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Heightmaps

stayne(Posted 2008) [#1]
Does anyone have 5 or 6 (all unique) 1024x1024 .png heightmaps I can bum? Nothing fancy, just some random hills and valleys with black edges of course. I don't have access to a graphics app at the moment.

Nexus6(Posted 2008) [#2]
I dont, but you can use L3DT, its free. http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

stayne(Posted 2008) [#3]
Can I zero the edges with it?

Nexus6(Posted 2008) [#4]
Haven't really used it, but had a little play around with it a while back. It has a wizard function which creates random terrains based on your parameters which can be manually tweaked afterwards - so im guessing you can.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
1024x1024 heightmap? Man, that's a BIG terrain :o)

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#6]
Not so big... I use like 600 maps 512x512... :)

Aza

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#7]
I'm working on a terrain editor/generator so I just whipped one up for you. It's about 3 megs. There is also a crude texture for it, also 3 megs (1 pixel per vertex).

It's basically a big square island.

I just emailed them to you (Stayne).

Wait: I just re-read your thread. You need 5 or 6. So check out the one I sent and if it's good I make/send some more.

-Pete

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#8]
1024x1024 heightmap? Man, that's a BIG terrain :o)

No it's not. I use 2048x2048 - gives an effetive 16x16 sq kilometres.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
Must take a good amount of video RAM though. It's 3MB for one 1024x1024 map.

600 maps 512x512 would be 450 MB. Never did see the use in using the blitz based terrains, as they really are so slow.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks Pete, this is perfect! The texture is great too. Did your app produce this texture?

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#11]
Yes. It's a bit crude at the moment or I would post a beta. It generates terrains using Perlin noise or fractals (neither method is perfect yet) and allows general modifications such as Perlin "turbulence" and such. Also things like clamping, smoothing, roughening and island-ing (suppressing the edges), and eroding down to the water level (which creates flatter areas near the waterline.

Right now I'm working on wrapping the edges for tiling and also a feature that would allow you to specify a grid size and have it produce a batch of terrains tiled to each other, thus creating a world.

I is not intended to place objects such as trees and roads, but it does simple texturing already and hopefully will do better texturing later on. You can think of it as a heightmap generator with limited texturing capabilities.

By the way, the default water level is .05 (I think) so that's why the textures have dark beige spots on them. If you don't use a water plane then they will look like dry lakes.

I'll post some images.

-Pete

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#12]
Hey, how do I post images? I don't have a website to link to. Should I put them in the gallery?

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#13]
Ok I just posted two screenies to the gallery so they should hopefully be showing up at some point. FYI I'm using BlitzUI and like it very much. Simple and clean.

Speaking of L3DT; that is an awesome program. Mine is geared for games as opposed to art. Extreme realism is not necessary, just simple nice-looking terrains.

I've also created a worklog at:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?log=1595&user=10162

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#14]
I didn't use blitz terrain, that are 600 b3d format maps..
Do you think are too much?

Aza

Wings(Posted 2008) [#15]
hey folks

iam making a height map of 5000x5000 program starts within 3 seconds on my laptop and it has my vertex alpha too :D

as you see i store the world in a large jpg file of 800kbytes. it has trees and stones.. heres a pic

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#16]
Shit. That's alot of rendered tris.

Wings(Posted 2008) [#17]
Yah.. now i optimize it some and it is only renders about 120.000 to 210.000

also in blitz version 1,99 it is real slooooooow like 4 fps.

its readpixelfast that fails in v1,99

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#18]
Still rendering that amount of tris just for a terrain, in blitz, is going to cause alot of strain when adding enemies, main characters, AI routines, particles... etc etc Good luck though!

Wings(Posted 2008) [#19]
What can i say.. i have an expensive laptop.. it can run oblivion in lower medium settings fine :D

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#20]
But what about everyone else ;o)

Wings(Posted 2008) [#21]
Every one else has to use the texture fade.. :D