Space Sim Backgrounds/Skybox

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Space Sim Backgrounds/Skybox

RexRhino(Posted 2008) [#1]
I am just wondering if people have some ideas on different methods of rendering background space.

I tried creating about 5000 sprites randomly in the distance - This looks great, however I am unsure how this will run on a lower end machine. Is there any issue to using that many sprites?

I tried creating the 5000 sprites, and then rendering it to textures and using it as a sky box... but it appears that I can only render a camera to the backbuffer, limits the res of the texture and makes it look bitmappy.

I am considering just creating a giant seamless 2D graphic of stars and offsetting that, but I am not sure how that would effect performance.

Does anyone know how space games like EVE online and such create sky boxes or backgrounds?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
Why not render the skybox in a seperate blitz program?

Set the graphics resolution so the height of the camera is above 1024, something like 1280x1024.

Set the cameraviewport to 1024x1024.

Render the scene, copy the viewport, 1024x1024 to a 1024x1024 texture.

About space skyboxes. Alot of them i've seen use sprites with space cloud masses drawn on them, and move them around the world. Some are part of the skybox, others you can fly through.

Gabriele(Posted 2008) [#3]
Sorry for bad english...
Me too after play Eve 14 day trial, have start a similar program whit Blitz (single player).

So are start from stellar skydome.
Whit Universe (Diard Software) i have make a 2048x1024 texture whit stars and nebula (6Mb)..and on pole of sphere, the stars not look good.

So have make 2 sphere...the first whit a 256x256 star only and scaled, the other sphere whit a 2048x1024 texture whit nebula in central horizon position (.Tga so whit mask), rotate 90 degree for cover hole pole on the first sphere (no hole in second sphere if you leave pole texture black only).

The result is very similar to Eve background.

After, for any stellar system (zone) you can make 3D planets, meteorite, bases..ecc..

But is a very long project..yes, can make quest automatic from agents...can make casualities events...can simulate merchants...but need also a storyline, a end...and a lots of graphic work (objects 3D).

Good work..

puki(Posted 2008) [#4]
UserID=2359.

What the sweet sausage of "Santa" is going on here?

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#5]
I think it's called Stellar Drift.
Or a non event horizon .
Dicon

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#6]
Clear as mud as usual, Puki. Are you wondering why a presumably new user has a lower number than yours? I would say either Gabriele has been around awhile without posting or disused numbers are being reused. Neither is particularly shocking.

I wrote a screensaver that paints a background of thousands of stars on a large sprite that sits in the background. Doesn't seem to be a performance problem. However, there is definitely a performance hit with high numbers of entities regardless of how complex they are. So I would not put thousands of sprites on the screen if you are also doing anything else labor-intensive.

My attitude is don't use up the gpu on environmental prettiness; save it for the gameplay. If you have thousands of entities, have them attacking the player! (Keep in mind that I have no published software and thus pretty much zero credibility at this point.)

Hey Puki, I think you should write a game called Santa's Sweet Sausage. We await a demo :)

-Axel