Best physics solution?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Best physics solution?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm trying to use physics with blitz3d, and I was wondering which is the fastest, easiest, and best physics engine for blitz3d out there. I've had my eye on EasyTOK, is this easy to learn and use?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
very good and easy to use was Physx wrapper, but unfortunatelly, it seems that site dissapear and support for it as well...so, what really remain, worth something is JV-ODE I think..

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#3]
I was wondering which is the fastest, easiest, and best physics engine for blitz3d out there.

That's like asking "who is the tallest, blondest and funniest actor?" If the answers to all three questions were the same, then everyone would be using that, and no one would be using anything else.

Anyway, Tokamak is almost certainly the easiest. For me, Newton is more accurate and functional than any of the others ( and that includes PhysX if you only want rigid bodies. ) The fastest is probably PhysX, but as NA said, the wrapper writer seems to have gone missing recently. Newton is probably second fastest behind PhysX. ODE was a big letdown for me. Extremely poor friction model ( worse even than Tokamak which is also pretty awful in that regard ) and not even particularly fast.

So I guess my conclusion would be to use Tokamak if easy is more important than accurate and fast, and use Newton if accurate and fast is more important than easy.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#4]
ok, I'll let this thread sit overnight and unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'll use easyTOK. As a proffesional noob to physics, easy sounds the best, and accurate I wont even notice, and speed will only affect me when I'm having a frankenstein moment with 5000 rigid body cubes :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
..there is a Newton wrapper for B3D ?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#6]
also, how good is the documentation (how easy is it to learn) for these?

JA2(Posted 2008) [#7]
PhysX hasn't gone for good. Render is just busy at the moment...

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
..there is a Newton wrapper for B3D ?

Isn't there? It's been years since I used B3D, I know, but I thought there had been one back then.

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#9]
Speaking from using Tokamak for years on Stunt Race Xtreme and ODE from using my old wrapper for years:

Vehicles : Tokamak's friction is pretty good, especially for doing car tyres, which it does much better than ODE, despite ODE's built-in carwheel joint. ODE does suspension better for slower simulations with a nice bouncy feel, but it doesn't work so well when you up the speeds. Tokamak can handle vehicles moving at a much higher speed and remain controllable.

Stability : I've found it very difficult to break a Tokamak simulation, in fact it's never happened in SRX I don't think, but using ODE it was comparively easy to corrupt the simulation and force a complete restart. The worst that happens in Tokamak is that bodies interpenetrate caused by a really fast impact, but the simulation remains completely stable. Newer versions of ODE may well be better in this respect.

Speed : no idea, but I don't think Tokamak is that fast, certainly I would think PhysX is faster.

My favourite is Tokamak simply because I've had so much more success writing a vehicle sim with that than ODE, and it's so user friendly and stable, especially compared to ODE.

I've not used Newton other than looking at the demos, but it behaved very much like ODE and the vehicle demo was very poor. Again only seen the PhysX demos, but they seemed OK and very fast.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#10]
bought easyTOK, trying it out now!

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#11]
so far so good