Types scan

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Types scan

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..this is how im creating different types of enemies..

if EnemyType=1
Troll.enemy=new enemy
Troll\ID=something
Troll\Life=something
end if

if EnemyType=2
Gryphon.enemy=new enemy
Gryphon\ID=something
Gryphon\Lige=something
end if

so..when I actually passing trough Troll type collection, like
For Troll.enemy=each enemy
;do stuff here and change some fields within type
next

i noticed that, actually, eventual changes, regarding gameplay conditions, affecting also type collection Gryphon in sense that I have been selected to pass trough Troll collection but i have noticed that actually given structure passing trough Gryphon collection too..or actually anything i have been stored in 'enemy' type..is this okay?? I mean, I thought by naming type collection wity Troll.enemy or Gryphon.enemy, they are separated and requiring separate access(what i wanted)...or im doing something wrong here?

Floyd(Posted 2008) [#2]
I thought by naming type collection wity Troll.enemy or Gryphon.enemy...

There is only one collection for the user defined type "enemy".

Troll and Gryphon are not collections. They are simply two variables of type enemy.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
..ohh..I see..so what would be best way to pass trough specific variables of type enemy, while ignoring others respectively?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
..I mean..im confused because i use to update and play only with Troll\<whatever field here> , but its affecting Gryphon\<whatever field here> too, so, whats the difference then by giving them different names if they are going to be updated all, no matter wich one im calling in update?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#5]
You're not giving them different names, you're just creating a variable.

It's no different from saying:

For Even=0 to 9
   Print Even
Next

And

For Odd=0 To 9
   Print Odd
Next

They're both going to print the same thing. Just because you called the variables something different doesn't change anything.

If you only want to update enemies of a certain type, you're going to need to have a field within the type which stores the type of the enemy, and then check it when updating.

Const ENEMYTYPE_GRIFFON=1
Const ENEMYTYPE_TROLL=2

For MyEnemy.Enemy=Each Enemy
   If MyEnemy\Type=ENEMYTYPE_GRIFFON
   End If
   If MyEnemy\Type=ENEMYTYPE_TROLL
   End If
Next

Etc.

I should possibly point out that BlitzMax would make this much easier, as it not only allows you to create your own collections of objects so you could have a list for each enemy type, but it also features inheritance, so you could have trolls and griffons extend a base enemy type, allowing you to cycle through a list of all enemies and still only pick out the enemies of a certain type.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
..i see...now its very clear..thanks Gabe..