B3D lipsync

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/B3D lipsync

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..is there any library, or any way in blitz, to extract waveform, or peaks of given audio, in order to apply such data on to character mouth/lips motion to make it in sync with voice?..I came in to stage where I really have nice models and animations done(main char mocap done), but I really want to make lipstick/mouth animated, at least a bit similar to the assigned voiceover, rather than just simple 'talk' animation..

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
maby blitzbass.dll? i heard somewhere that this might be possible. the person who posted the thread was asking to get the peaks so he could display a visualization and the answer was yes he could. the same principle should work here

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
Well, i just check BlitzBass studio from toolbox...on their website staying that comercial version is 2400 euros man...and for a single product...im absolutely not in to this price...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
..do I have to have license ffrom this guys http://www.un4seen.com/ , in order to use BlitzBass studio??

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#5]
..do I have to have license ffrom this guys http://www.un4seen.com/ , in order to use BlitzBass studio??

Yes, you do - if you're going to sell your finished product. If not, then no. Chances are though, even if you're going to try to sell your game, you'll fall under the following license anyway:

Shareware licence: €100
The "shareware" licence allows the usage of BASS in an unlimited number of your shareware products, which must sell for no more than 40 Euros each. If you're an individual (not a corporation) making and selling your own software (and its price is within the limit), this is the licence for you.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#6]
sorry 'bout that man. i did't realize it cost so much. good thing i don't use it:)

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#7]
o_O

It doesn't "cost so much".

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yes, you do - if you're going to sell your finished product. If not, then no. Chances are though, even if you're going to try to sell your game, you'll fall under the following license anyway:

Having talked to the guy behind Bass about the license, I'd have to say you probably won't. I know a lot of people who use Bass and FMod and only pay the shareware license despite the fact that it doesn't actually cover them, and they seem to get away with it. But if you're like me and you want to be legally covered by the license, the shareware one probably won't do it.

IrrKlang is a bit cheaper, although again the shareware license probably won't cover most shareware authors, but the commercial license is slightly cheaper than Bass I think. There is a real need for a viable alternative which actually has a shareware license written by someone who knows how shareware is sold though. Sadly, the big three audio libraries have licenses written by someone who clearly hasn't sold any shareware games in the past decade.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hrmm... interesting, Gabriel. The BASS license seem (seemed?) pretty straightforward for shareware stuff, especially the line
The "shareware" licence allows the usage of BASS in an unlimited number of your shareware products, which must sell for no more than 40 Euros each.

The Fmod shareware license seems similar but a lil less defined. The three bits that both stood out for me were:
For applications developed by single hobbyist programmers, or sell at an extreme low price-points with no distribution except through a website, and no expectations of high sales that could warrant or recoup the price of a normal product/site license, the 'shareware/budget' license option has been created.
and
Shareware licenses are approved on a case by case basis to verify they qualify for budget or shareware status.
and
The licensee must be an individual / partnership with a hobby or shareware product with a very low price point (ie $10), and must not be a registered business or company with employees.

Whilst I understand how people might well be underpaying the license fee, what is it about the average Blitz user (and I'm assuming things like: bedroom coder; makes a game; slaps it up on a website for sale) that sees these licenses being unsuitable for them? Do you think Grey Alien falls outside the shareware license because he sells on portals (despite seemingly falling into this category by price-point and number of people developing the game)?

I'm asking not to call you out, but to compare how I'm reading the "common sense wording" (ie not legalese) of the licenses against what you've discovered in your real-world dealings.

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#10]
aw I thought you were gonna talk about methods for actually animating the face on your character. I for one am curious about techniques for doing facial animation blended with other animations.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#11]
actually I wanted to start thread like that, inspired by few scripts I have done for Adobe Aftereffects, so I thought it would be nice to give it a try and so something like that with B3D..