Protean IDE crashes when opening a menu item

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Protean IDE crashes when opening a menu item

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#1]
protean always crashes when i open one of the menus in the top of the program. even when i completely re-install the app, it crashes and there is nothing i can do about :(
ps: i'm using vista right now and the problem started existing at a point where i didnt do anything special.
any help would be appreciated...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Because development of Protean ceased long before Vista was available, I'd switch to a different IDE. Try Project Studio, or IDEal is supposed to be OK.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#3]
it seems to work when i turn off the AERO style. but why???

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Dunno, but the Aero theme automatically disables when I use Flash 8. If that's the solution, then fair enough.

I wouldn't pin much hope on ever getting it fully sorted though.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#5]
protean always had this problems in the "newer versions". It never finished its transition between the .NET versions.

would guess that some of its components are 1.0 and "hack" something that creates conflicts with Vistas 3D accelerated desktop.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#6]
umh. i wanna stick to protean. i'm currently testing project studio, but i think i just like protean. i also got used to it!
is there any solution to solve this problem? i mean: it just appeared to me; a few hours ago i didnt even have this problem...

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#7]
did you install something to the system like the SP1 which has an affect on system security or an update to security software etc?

What you can try is:
1. Compatibility mode XP SP2
2. Disable UAC
3. Run as Administrator
given you don't do any of that thought I assume you already do as with many XP "only" apps.
Disabling advanced text services on the application might help as well just in case they are enabled globally for some reason.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#8]
i have SP1 for vista installed since the day it was released.
1. i did
2. the first thing i did after installing vista
3. i am
and it still crashes when clicking on any menus. once it even crashed my whole PC => not even numlock and capslock were reacting...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
In compatibility mode, disable Windows Themes - that should fix it if Aero is causing the problem.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#10]
can i disable the windows theme just for that application? because i would never disable the aero style for my whole system...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#11]
Right-click on the exe, Properties, Compatibility, Disable Windows Themes.

It'll disable it system-wide only while Protean is running, then switch it back on automatically when you close it.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#12]
oh my... i think i better switch to project studio then...
but why did this failure appear now? it worked fine till a week ago!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#13]
Dunno, maybe a Windows/NET update that Protean just doesn't like.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#14]
Depending on how adventurous you are feeling, Protens source is available from the original developer's page... all bar a sandbox thing or something. I'm still a fan of Protean, I'm still in XP land however.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#15]
lucky that i use protean in a XP environment ;)

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#16]

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#17]
for some other reasons i had to install XP, and now it just crashes when i start it,:

"The application could not be initialized correctly (0x??????). Click OK to exit the application."

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#18]
did you check your system? ram? overclocking?

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#19]
i have 2 GB ram and i'm not overclocking any part of my hardware. i installed the latest updates on xp_sp2.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#20]
did you check your ram with tools like memtest86? i never had ANY problems with protean on my systems...

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#21]
i checked my ram a few months ago when i was having trouble with my PC. everything seems to work all right.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#22]
hm, seems to work after i manually installed the MS net framework, altough it didnt came via windows update...
thanks everyone who helped me out :)