Detail maps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Detail maps

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..what would be best way to apply different detail maps on to my mesh terrain, regarding different ground textures/materials(they are all blended in to one color map)?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
Alphamaps that show the specific area of different textures of the ground texture
Detailmap

then blend them together by stacking them in slot x and x+1 and texturealpha blend and let your detail texture be repeated

-> 3 different detail textures

if you had a multisurface mesh terrain it would be simpler, you could just put it there as second texture

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
hmm..do you have some example..im not sure how to keep specific detailmaps on specific parts of the ground..

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#4]
you need a second texture for each detail texture that is alpha based and where the alpha and otherwise white which represents the "strength" of the detail texture at that place. there is an example of multitextured blitz3d terrains that uses this approach for regular tiling texture on blitz3d terrain, you might want to look for that for a working implementation. (at least I believe there is / was one)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
..my terrain is mesh terrain, single mesh terrain with one color map assigned to it...here you can see how is it looking, and I tried to mark areas whats bugging me actually...

how to properly use alpha maps and how to set up my code to reveal/hide specific detail maps when camera reach them?..i am a bit confused with this so some simple help with basic code structure is welcome..

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#6]
This is a highly advanced problem. Basic code won't help you.
EDIT: and there is no general solution. To have it work on a usefull performance, it must be done very specific to the end usage and the projects structure.