Want to clarify AddMesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Want to clarify AddMesh

Nack(Posted 2008) [#1]
What I want to do is this.
I created a multisurface cube, but I learned from this forum that if there is A LOT of mutlisurface cube, it will be a great strain on the system since blitz require to keep track of all those surfaces etc. So what i thought off is this...
after i texture each surface and do waht i want with them, I then use addmesh to make entire thing one big mesh then free off all those surfaces cubes. would that be same or faster? I presume would be faster. I used fraps to check, seems to be correct, but dont really trust frap fps checker. So want to see if my theories is correct from experts here.

Nack

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#2]
The less surfaces the better in terms of render performance - less state changes are sent to your card. When using addmesh, surfaces which use the same brush properties are combined so it should be significantly faster.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
I'm sure your left with a copy of the orginal mes/meshes, so remember and free them afterwards

Shambler(Posted 2008) [#4]
Yes you are correct, I built a dungeon once from single wall/floor/ceiling sections and addmeshed them together to reduce everything to just 3 surfaces...very fast to render!