Alpha water problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Alpha water problem

ringwraith(Posted 2008) [#1]
I know the subject of alpha problems has been brought up a hundred times, but I'm having alpha problems with water when I add it to my terrain and I can't seem to find any solutions for my specific problem in any of the posts I have searched through.

So, basically what I have done is created a plane and textured it like water. Then, I set the alpha of the plane to something like 0.5 or 0.75. Then, I create a mesh terrain above this. The problem occurs when I edit my mesh terrain so that it goes below the level of the water plane. When I do this ( essentially making a point 'below sea level') it should create the effect of a pool or lake, but instead, the mesh terrain renders on top of the water for some reason and the water is not visible.

It also might be important that my terrain is made up of 5 surfaces one over the other with the top four having the BrushFx 2+32 and the bottom one having only BrushFx 2.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chad(Posted 2008) [#2]
Make sure the water is positioned high enough to the scale of your terrain.

Say you have your water positioned at 0,0,0 and your terrain also at 0,0,0, but the terrain is scaled at 3,3,3 and your water is only at 1,1,1, such a size difference will hide the water because it's not high enough to be breaking through the terrain.

If this is the case, then position your water at 0,10,0 and if it's visible then, then move it down 1 unit at a time till it's acceptable where you want it.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
Try using the add blend mode for your water :o) Worked great for me. Also, i think the value your thinking of is below or equal to 0.49

ringwraith(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks for the suggestion Ross.

I tried making the water add blend mode but that didn't have any affect. So, what I figured out was that the ground needed to be add blend mode instead. When I did this, it didn't work either and I finally realized that only the top four surfaces needed to be in add blend mode. So, I used BrushBlend 3 on the top four surfaces and left the bottom with the default and that made everything work out nicely.

Anyway, thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#5]
what I figured out was that the ground needed to be add blend mode instead. When I did this, it didn't work either

Does anyone else find this wording amusing?

Ked(Posted 2008) [#6]
Aye.

ringwraith(Posted 2008) [#7]
Not quite sure what you mean by amusing. I see nothing wrong with the wording of that quote. I'm genuinely curious as to what you find amusing in it.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#8]
It's just not worded correctly.

"I found that it NEEDED <x>" but "<x> didn't work either". Contradiction.

He's not making fun of you, it was just a funny sentence.

"I figured I would try using the Additive Blend mode, but that did not work either."

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#9]
Yeah no big deal man, I knew perfectly well what you meant, I just had a little chuckle at the contradiction. Something about the wording sounded like a line out of the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Incidentally, good on you for posting an explanation of the solution you found. Too often people post a question and then "I figured it out" without bothering to post the solution.

ringwraith(Posted 2008) [#10]
I didn't mean to come across as prickly or anything. I just read it through a couple of times and honestly could not see what was funny. It's like when you don't get a joke and need it to be explained. Anyway, when you explain it that way I can see how it is sort of an ironic way of wording it.