Particle systems on models

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Particle systems on models

ringwraith(Posted 2008) [#1]
Up until now I've been using milkshape to create my models but I recently checked out Blender's site and it seems to have a lot more features, namely of interest to me is its ability to create particle systems along with a mesh. This could be useful in any number of situations such as having a fireplace inside a building mesh or creating a flaming sword, but before I go about trying to learn a new tool, does Blitz3D, in any format, even support the importation of models with particle systems?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
if the particle effect is an animation in the mesh, yes.

If you meant / hoped for dynamic effects: No they must be done from within blitz

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
You could try particle candy. I'm using that and it comes with an editor. If you simply make a pivot or extremely simple mesh for a placeholder, you can search for all the placeholder and position your particle emitter there.

What i do in my engine is create a pivot, you can use a mesh, called firetorch. When my code loads in the blitz3d file,(needs to be loaded via loadanimmesh to preserve the individual meshes saved within), it searches for every mesh named firetorch and places a fire emitter on top of the mesh, or where the mesh is.

ringwraith(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks for the replies.

Ross, that sounds like a good method, could you do a similar thing with joints, so that the particle system would follow a specific part of the model?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yeah you can. If you put a bone where you want the particles to emit from, and name it something like "Emitter" findchild will let you access the bones names and all other entity attributes.