Cubemapping a snaking river

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Cubemapping a snaking river

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm at a bit of a loss as how to properly set-up cubemap reflections for a snaking river. If it was a river, then i suppose you'd just stick the camera in the middle of the river?

Can anyone shed some light on this please :o)

puki(Posted 2008) [#2]
If the whole river is in view (ie from above) then most people probably would not do the reflections in realtime.

If it is for a FPS-type game or overhead cam game, where only sections of the river are seen at a time, then it can be done dynamically. In this case, your answer is simple: How does a boat travel a snaking river? I'd set up camera waypoints along the river so that it can be done dynamically relative via the player/cam position.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
So, you suggest moving the camera along with the player? It's probably not worth doing then, as i don't really want to update the cubemap, just need a rough reflection of the surrounding. Thanks for that :o)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#4]
Dunno if this will help, its something we were all playing with about 2 years ago:
http://www.d-grafix.com?page=sourcecode
If you had your snaking river as a dip in a terrain then it should work.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks. I have opted for just using a static cubemap to roughly represent the surrounding. It's underground, so it's pretty samey.
I mind seeing that code though. A nice way of doing it. I'll check it out. Probably need something like that for my outdoors sections :o) Thanks!