EnvMap question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/EnvMap question

FlagDKT(Posted 2008) [#1]
As far as I know, basic envmap method is to reflect viewing vector about normal to generate a vector which points to an environment map.

Why in blitz3d the Envmapped texture updates only when moving/rotating the object applied to and not when just moving/rotating camera?The view vector changes...?uhm...

Btw I need the windows in my 3dcity to be updated without doing any additional texture rendering :)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
I know what your saying. What i did was attach my camera to a pivot. Think about your head. If you look at a mirror and look in a different direction with your eyes, the view in the mirror doesn't really change. BUT, if you move your head the view will change, because your eyes are offset from the point of rotation of your head.

So, parent you camera to a pivot, and offset the camera from the pivots position.

FlagDKT(Posted 2008) [#3]
uhm perhaps I did not understand well what you're saying...
what's the difference between moving the camera directly and moving a pivot with the camera attached?
Since my games is a 3d side scrolling platform, the camera won't rotate that much...I don't think it would change anything...
in any case the envmap doesn't update at all if I don't move/rotate the object.
Maybe it's not enough to set envmap flag on the texture to make it update while moving camera?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#4]
Have you tried a cube map? I know that will change when you change the position of the camera :o)