Blendshapes / Morphing Meshes?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blendshapes / Morphing Meshes?

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2008) [#1]
I know it's probably a daft question, but is there any possible way of utilizing blendshapes/morphing geometry?

Rigged/boned geometry is fine for the majority of stuff, but sometimes, only blendshapes will do.

I am a Maya 8.5 user and find the use of blendshapes very useful for certain animations. My gut feeling tells me there's no way to get this sort of animation across to Blitz?

If not, then are there any plans to support it in future?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
What i did, was to create a mesh in a modeller in the start position then export it. Then adjust the mesh to the second position. Save that out. Make sure you keep the same amount of vertices. Then do a simple interpolate between the two meshes.

This might not be what your after, but it worked a treat in a project i worked on where there was morphing bridges. You'd press a switch and the bride would morph, becoming longer and allowing the player to pass.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks for that, Ross! I'm not sure how that would work along with boned/rigged meshes, but it's might work okay.

I'll have to try a few tests. Cheers :)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#4]
If speed isn't too critical and you know your start and end shapes, you can create a bone for each vertex and move those. Export as usual.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2008) [#5]
That's mucho bones!