Animating in 3DS Max 9

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Animating in 3DS Max 9

syntax(Posted 2008) [#1]
I know how to skin a model and use 3ds max's bones to animate a short video in 3ds, but if I where to animate a model in 3ds, and export it as a 3ds file, blitz cannot understand the animation data. (and it renders the bones as geometry) so can anyone explain how or even if its possible to animate in 3ds max 9 and be able to play the animation in blitz3d?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
Use onigirls B3D Export pipeline. See 5 postings below this, posted by Pudding

3DS Files do not store any animation at all so the export actually removes the animation.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#3]
One other option is Ultimate Unwrap 3d, it was cheap, gives you the u3d file export from max. Then you can use Ultimate Unwrap 3d to clean up the file, texture a model, modify a model or just use it as a format exporter. This is the method I use due to the B3d pipelines finicky demands.

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#4]

3DS Files do not store any animation at all so the export actually removes the animation.

Actually, .3ds files DO store animation, but not skin deformation animation. Transformation (Position,Rotate,Scale) animations work just fine.

B3d pipeline is definitely the way to go though,... I just wanted to point this nitpicky thing out.

syntax(Posted 2008) [#5]
ok so i had looked at this like 5 months ago but at that time, it was only for 3ds max 6 (or so i thought!) This is terrific. Thank you very much.