What do you want from Bass 2.4 ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What do you want from Bass 2.4 ?

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,
in the middle of january the new bass version (2.4) will be out. At the moment Blitz Bass Studio use the version 2.3.0.3. This will be the last 2.3.x.x version. Now my problem is that the api of bass (and the plugins) have changed extrem.

That means that i must "rewrite" all the includes for 90% of the stuff that nobody will use. I can now do 2 thinks:

A) Rewrite the stuff to 2.4 and let the api as complicated as it is.

B) Write a framework with "blitzbasic like" commands and include only what you really need for games and apps.

What do you think?

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#2]
A difficult call.
Since it's you doing the work you must decide.
But generally I would say (B).
The only out-of-the-ordinary function I would be looking for when I get round to using Bass is the function of gettng the current sound amplitude, so I can sync lip/jaw movements to the sound, as it is playing.
But I believe Bass already provides this.

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yes, and the 2.3 version is also stable and fast. To deal with the newest api of bass2.4 (or fmodEX) is like writting a dx10 engine for blitz. From this point i think that 2.3 is more than enought for a DX7 based language.

So, i will write a framework (latter) with a focus on games. That seems to be a good deal.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#4]
In a sense what you are descibing is very localised.
It's not as if you _have_ to deal with every change of version, as with DirectX.
I don't see any problem with you writing a framework for a particular version of the dll. After all the dll has to be explicitly supplied with the game anyway.
Just so long as you can give a reliable link to the developer for that version.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#5]
The only out-of-the-ordinary function I would be looking for when I get round to using Bass is the function of gettng the current sound amplitude, so I can sync lip/jaw movements to the sound, as it is playing.

me too, I must confess I haven't had the chance to use the bass module in its current incarnation, it may already incorporate a function that will return the amplitude potentially from 0 to 255, this way the amount of jaw movement could be incremental with respect to the size of the sound / jaw movement.

BlitzPlotter