Does this work?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Does this work?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#1]
Does anyone know if it is possible to extract media or any other type of files from a game CD-ROM?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
A CD Rom is just a disk. Accessing files on it is no different than accessing files on a hard disk.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#3]
Always been curious about how you get the drive letter?

Kev(Posted 2007) [#4]
Ross you could use the api GetModuleFileName() and extract the drive letter.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#5]
i don't mean any disk, i mean like an x-box disk or a playstation, or a gamecube disk. also, it doesn't need to be through Blitz. this was just a random question that popped into my head, and i figured there are quite a few super-smart computer people on the forum. if it is an inappropiate topic for the forum because it is non-blitz related please tell me and i will not post anything similar to it again.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#6]
Unless they have some special file format ( in which case the answer is almost certainly no ) then a disk is a disk is a disk.

puki(Posted 2007) [#7]
If you are talking about accessing the media on the disk on a run-time basis (ie your program is accessing the media, as and when it needs, whilst running) then this is more difficult and certainly not easily achievable due to custom compression/encryption/file-systems.

If you just want to extract music/sound/graphics from a Playstation, X-Box, etc game disk to your hard-drive and manipulate it from there, then this is much easier.

_33(Posted 2007) [#8]
I don't encourage ripping media asset from a commercial product.

Also the title of this thread is too generic. You should have posted this isn the General forum.