WinBlitz3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/WinBlitz3D

big10p(Posted 2007) [#1]
I can't seem to register for the WinBlitz3D forum so I thought I'd ask here.

WinBlitz3D looks really good and seems like just the thing I'm looking for, for knocking together an editor quickly. I really don't want the extra hassle of having to code a GUI.

I have a few questions:

1 - Does WinBlitz3D work in 2D Graphics modes, or do I have to use Graphics3D?

2 - My editor will need a collapsible parent/child tree view of entities. I want each entity listed by name, which can also be edited. The tree view pane will also need to support scrollbars if/when the list becomes to big to view fully in the pane. Is this possible (and relatively simple) to do with WinBlitz3D?

3 - I understand WinBlitz3D isn't being developed anymore. Which version should I use - v1.0 or v1.1 beta?

4 - Are there any significant bugs and/or missing features I should know about before commiting to using WinBlitz3D?

Thanks.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#2]
Ive just activated your account big10p, im not sure what went wrong.

1 - Does WinBlitz3D work in 2D Graphics modes, or do I have to use Graphics3D?

yes its possable to use 2D

2 - My editor will need a collapsible parent/child tree view of entities. I want each entity listed by name, which can also be edited. The tree view pane will also need to support scrollbars if/when the list becomes to big to view fully in the pane. Is this possible (and relatively simple) to do with WinBlitz3D?

yes editable labels are supported, you have full control of the way gadgets are built. see wb3dstyles.bb for a full list of api constants.

3 - I understand WinBlitz3D isn't being developed anymore. Which version should I use - v1.0 or v1.1 beta?

both version have proven to be stable, version 1.1 offers support of better control of the interagtion with blitz3d. and some extra gadgets.

4 - Are there any significant bugs and/or missing features I should know about before commiting to using WinBlitz3D?

its quite stable, lots of bugs where fixed before v1.0 left private beta stage, ive been told its pritty much feature complete.

kev

big10p(Posted 2007) [#3]
Excellent.

I did actually manage to register on your site, I just never received the account activation email.

Thanks very much, Kev.

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#4]
i used winblitz3d back before i got Bmax. its not too bad, however the styles section needed more documentation cause all the gadgets looked like they came right out of windows 95

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
That's OK - I'm only interested in functionality.

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#6]
i did manage to get winblitz too look like this with icon buttons

big10p(Posted 2007) [#7]
Can I group gadgets together in a box, under a heading? Say, a box with the heading "Blend mode", with radio buttons for Alpha, Multiply, Additive, etc.

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#8]
yea use a panel with a label

Ked(Posted 2007) [#9]
Or CreateGroupBox

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#10]
Well done Kev.
I know you worked long and hard on this.
When other people start answering questions on your behalf you know you've got a stable product and a loyal user-base.

Did Danny(?) ever finish the visual designer/editor?

Danny(Posted 2007) [#11]
Hi John,..

The editor still is what it is/was... I never got around implementing the ability to move/scale gadgets using the mouse.

Follow the "Schnok! Download link" at the top of this forum:
http://www.winblitz3d.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

@Big10p, use WinBlitz3D. It's as stable as can be and it's the only solution for making an editor that looks and works like any other serious windows program.
You can use the Schnok editor to design your windows/forms and export them straight to code with several options depending on your workflow..

Good luck,
Danny.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#12]
OK. Thanks all. Schnok sounds useful - I'll take a look.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#13]
Schnok is very good at what it does, it enables you to make full use of winblitz3d without knowing much about win32 window/gadget styles. with full code export of layout design what more could you ask for :)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#14]
Took a quick look at Schnok - seems very useful. Mouse positioning/scaling would be cool, though. :P

I'm not quite ready to do my editor yet, but WinBlitz3D/Schnok look like they will fit the bill perfectly. Thanks. *thumbs up*