Entityblend = 2, no alpha

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Entityblend = 2, no alpha

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#1]
If I set the blend mode on a B3D Sprite to 2 (multiply) then Entityalpha no longer seems to work with that sprite.

Is that normal, or am I missing something obvious???

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#2]
I think that's the way it's supposed to work :o)

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'm assuming it's for shadows .. in which case you don't need alpha as you should be setting up the invisible parts as bright white graduated into a darker grey for the shadow itself.

Stevie

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#4]
Well what I wanted to do was use the sprite as a negative modulated image, so it darkens stuff under it (which was working fine) but then alpha fade the sprite out as the car moves above the track, so when landing from a jump the shadow fades in slowly as the car descends, rather than just popping into place.

I don't want to linepick for miles below the car, so I've limited that to a close pick and am therefore only placing the shadow when the car is quite close to the track surface.

I'm also scaling the shadow to get smaller as the car moves up, and due to that I hadn't spotted that the alpha wasn't in fact working (for the past 2 years!!)

Anyway, I've set the sprite to be normally alpha blended instead of multiplied, and that works fine.