EntityShininess

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/EntityShininess

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is there a way to make EntityShininess a little more subtle? I've tried to set it to 0.001 and it still gets very profound and obnoxious at times.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
When you say profound and obnoxious, is it mainly the intensity or the size of the highlight which is unpleasant?

The intensity ought to be lowered if you lower the intensity of the light source(s) affecting the entity. For example, a light which is coloured 255,255,255 could become 100,100,100, although this will obviously affect lighting in other ways and on other meshes.

The size of the specular highlight is going to depend on the distance between vertices, because B3D only does per-vertex lighting. In other words, your highlight will be at least the size of the distance between the nearest vertex to the light and the closest vertex to that first vertex. So if your mesh has just a few vertices, widely spaced, the highlight will be huge. The only way I can think of to deal with that would be to subdivide the mesh a few times to create a better spacing of vertices across the surface.

To be honest, Blitz3D's EntityShininess is a tough beast to tame, so if neither of those work, you might want to consider a sphere map or a cube map applied with additive blending, which should create a pleasing shine to the object if you paint the map quite smooth and subtle. I did that to create the shiny balls in Kick Shot Pool, and although they were pretty intense, that's only because the maps were painted that way.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#3]
I think it's a bit of both. When I say intensity I mean it's pretty much all white. And, my aircraft are pretty low poly so I'm sure that's not helping much either.

I'll try the sphere map with additive and see how that works out. Thanks for the tips Gab.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#4]
entityshininess gets very brithend-up on values loke 0.0001?
this tells me one thing: you are using point-lights with far light ranges. these kind of lights are very bright!

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ooh ya that could be it. Lemme try a different type of light. Thanks again guys.