Pathfinding test please

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Pathfinding test please

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#1]
http://www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pathfinding.zip

Run "pathfinding.bb"

I don't quite use the A* pathfinding idea, I just generate a list of paths. Then choose the quickest predicted path (distance travelled + distance remaining). If a complete path exists, then only new paths are generated if they are shorter than the generated ones.

I'm sure this will be slower than other methods, but just curious how much slower. I also would appreciate if you stuck down your CPU too :D And i understand that results depends on CPU speed too.

Try making a path from 1 to 24. Choose Start as 1. Choose Finish as 24. It should give you a time. If you put it on debug mode, it will dump the path in the debuglog. I recommend running in NOT in debug mode, to attain highest speeds.

Thanks!

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#2]
Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz

Non Debug: 228

Debug Log:

*******----------------- Goal path found!
-------------PATHS destroyed--------- 2962
------------------
Path taken to goal
Node - 1
Node - 6
Node - 11
Node - 16
Node - 20
Node - 21
Node - 22
Node - 24

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks man :o) Round about the same as my time. Still waaaaaaaaaay too slow.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#4]
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

Non Debug: 187

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
Athlon 1Ghz

Debug off: 818

Nicstt(Posted 2007) [#6]
debug on

athlon 64 dual core 6000

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks guys :o)

I'm such an idiot!!! I was using INSERT, to insert my new path, based on distance, into the path list. Now, because of the way the pointer is, i was inserting before the number i compare to, and it was causing a massive build up of paths to occur. Upon testing that path i gave you's to test, it was generating 2217 paths...

Anyway, the above path now takes 3 millisecs, so that's alot better :o)