File Packing

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/File Packing

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#1]
Right, I am looking at File Packing now. I really need something like Molebox, but that allows me to only open 1 pack, and have them located in folders (molebox is limited like this).

What I am currently thinking (if PackB3DLib isn't what I am after) is to use terabits packer, but first encrypt my models individually. So even though they are just put out as files in the temp folder (from the packer) they will be encrypted and still only accessible to my application. Would this be secure? or am I overlooking something?

Thanks

nrasool(Posted 2007) [#2]
I have Molebox Pro, and haven't seen any limitation. Molebox allows you to have different package, eg 1 package for models, 1 package for music, 1 package for sound effects, etc etc. I haven't seen any limitation. I think Molebox is by far the best packer.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#3]
Try Blitz Media Linker in the Toolbox. It's free.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hi, I have looked at molebox and used it for a few weeks, Is not what I need. Its predecessor, 'SteelHide', is, but isn't ready yet.

Are there any file encrypters/decrypters that will take an encrypted single file (say a mesh) from the hard drive streight to ram without first 'bouncing' it through the hard drive as a tempory file? This doesn't need to pack multiple files together, just a single file (I can then pack the single files up using a standard packer).

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
Can you be any more specific about how Molebox isn't what you need? I'm not seeing anything that you've said which disqualifies Molebox, so I'm thinking that you have a requirement that I haven't really grasped.

I think you're going to struggle to find options, because Blitz3D doesn't really give you the ability to load from anywhere but disk without hacking it. Molebox is the exception here because it does exactly that, it hacks all the load calls at a low level.

I know there is one other that I think doesn't use temp files, but I think it's one of the ones which the other guys mentioned.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#6]
basically molebox opens all the packs in the same folder as main exe where its bound too when the exe is run.

I need to be able to only open 1 pack at a time from any folder structure, later on in my program.

I agree, molebox is great for games, but I am using blitz for an application that I need these things in.

What I really need is something more secure, but the same function as terabit's data packer. This is something that molebox's successer will be like, but its still in beta, and so don't want to use it.

My original question still stands:

"What I am currently thinking (if PackB3DLib isn't what I am after) is to use terabits packer, but first encrypt my models individually. So even though they are just put out as files in the temp folder (from the packer) they will be encrypted and still only accessible to my application. Would this be secure? or am I overlooking something?"